1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finishing Shop Garage

Discussion in 'General' started by xTomKx, May 23, 2019.

1. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Yeah, the online tool I used didn't have much in the way of motorcycle 3D models (as in "none"). The table was supposed to be a (still future) bike lift, but the software refused to raise the Vespa off the ground. Although a Vespa table would be kinda cool too! :D

motoracer1100 likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

OSB...
    I'm pretty sure you could put a fist/foot through it at will, making it susceptible to punctures when you start tossin' tools. Then again, you won't have to build shelving if all your tools are imbedded in the walls. :D
    ...shit isn't fit for constructing a doghouse. It's little more than glorified cardboard.

BigBird likes this.
  3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

If you can put a fist through 1/2" osb on studs at 16" centers, you're a stud.

TurboBlew, badmoon692008 and ducnut like this.
  4. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Please try and post results.

ducnut likes this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Uh, that would be 31/64 OSB... :Poke:

ducnut likes this.
  6. fastfreddie

Never happen. I don't knowingly buy garbage.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Except for a 7.3... :Poke: :Poke:

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

I didn't know...I DIDN'T KNOW!
    :D

TurboBlew and pickled egg like this.
  9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Lol you really do not know what OSB is do you?

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Punching through OSB would really be something, but man, pulling your arm/hand back out of it, that’s turning my stomach.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird blah

Since the roof was/is leaking and will fix soon, the drywall on the walls got moisture and is pretty jacked up, so the OSB on the walls sounds like a great idea (even thought I may not like the way it looks overall. But, not so hot on the idea of sheetrocking it, well A) I can't pick it up alone, and b) it's a bear to do any changes once it's in.

The ceiling is interesting, not sure what to do there, but like the idea of the drop ceiling with tile type lights as an option.

This thread has actually been informative! :)

ducnut likes this.
  12. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Please, feel free to swing by and give it your best shot. :crackup:

The HF drywall Jack is a godsend. Cheap and very useful.

This place has the ability to make anyone’s garage seem inadequate.
    https://www.garagejournal.com/

BigBird likes this.
  13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I took over a shop with cinder block walls. I put up foam insulation, furring strips, osb and paint. It's ok, but wishing I had either spent more and used plywood or perhaps even metal. The furring strips give a good anchor point for hanging things (osb doesn't). We left the osb about an inch or so off the ground, but even with the foam insulation, it has absorbed moisture and started to bow out.

This is 5/8 OSB, not particle board or MDF.

BigBird likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

Geebus, y'all makin' OSB out to be some kind of wonder product are off your rockers. It's crap. Always has been, always will be.
    And, yes, I know exactly what it is, which is exactly why I will never use it for anything I build. But, please, feel free to bask in the glory of its marketed aura and know you're doing your part in keeping the flow of shit products comin' to builders everywhere.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    motoracer1100 likes this.
  15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

It has it it's uses but anything near moisture is not one of them. Its biggest benefit is that is a third of the cost (or more) of plywood.

ducnut and TurboBlew like this.
  16. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I'm very pleased with my drop ceiling (to be fair, it was the contractor's idea, not mine). I used a restaurant kitchen grade tile that is tough and easy to clean, and the drop in LED panels are awesome!

BigBird likes this.
  17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

APA doesnt feel like its an inferior building component...lol. Its actually a reclaimed product so theres that...hehe

18. fastfreddie

Not reclaimed.
    Proper OSB is made straight from quick growing woods...making it sustainable.

19. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Amen brother!

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well we all can't afford mahogany timbers now, can we? :Poke:

ducnut likes this.