1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finishing Shop Garage

Discussion in 'General' started by xTomKx, May 23, 2019.

1. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Good idea but I have 14" or so cinder block wall at the base of the garage. I'm debating on coating it with epoxy when I do the floor.

2. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I reviewed my state's construction code and like you mentioned I have to use 5/8 type X drywall on ceiling and all walls contacting rest of the house.

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Fire-rated plywood on that one side? It's not cheap.

4. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

The state specifically calls out gypsum board in the code. It is only be one wall against the house. I'm more concerned with the ceiling as it will be a pain to install with 10ft ceilings.

5. rd400racer

Rent a drywall jack at Home Depot. I think they're $40 a day and you'll thank me later.

[​IMG]

ducnut, xTomKx and Jon Wilkens like this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

If I'm not mistaken, if you've got your fire rock up you can layer over it with plywood for a final surface. It won't negatively affect the fire rating of the wallboard and give you something substantial to attach things to.

ducnut likes this.
  7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

After effing with drywall in the past... here's my version of a drywall jack...way less work.

[​IMG]

Razr, trussdude, xTomKx and 3 others like this.
  8. rd400racer

Yep, we do it all the time...but we have to use fire-rated plywood still. Now this is in commercial and industrial instances.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

for some reason I thought this was a stand alone shop. Whats going to be done to the 2nd FL? Are you going to condition it?
    or just storage?

10. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

The room over garage will be finished next. Unfortunately there is no easy way to tie it into the heat or ac. I’m going to get portable ac and space heater. This will he used as gym or recreation room. Aka man cave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Thx. I’ll look it up

12. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

@JBraun

13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The Mitsubishi wall-mount units are really high efficiency and perfect for that application.

14. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I have an LG Mini Split and it cools my 300sf office from 110 degrees to 78 degrees in less than 15 minutes. Very quiet and affordable

ducnut likes this.
  15. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

Mitsubishi, Daikin, LG, Samsung... All make a nice ductless line in heat pump that would not break the bank.

ducnut likes this.
  16. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

:crackup:What’s with the two Vespa’s and that crazy Vespa Table....:Poke:

17. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

The issue I have is I live in the country and do not have gas supply to my house. All appliances are electric and I’m maxing our the electrical service. I have to go with 110v

ducnut likes this.
  18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Put in a sub panel if you need more breaker slots. The the stuff you rarely use like welder, possibly air compressor won't tax the overall main breaker. If concerned trip them and only swap to them when in use. A typical house has a 200 amp main and you rarely use all that except in winter if you have electric heat.

19. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

propane, depending on the useage, get a 100lb or 250lb smaller tank, not a huge 4-1000 lb pig. Ski

20. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

With instant water heater, electric dryer, dishwasher and all it doesn’t leave me any room. I have 150A service. I’d have to upgrade.

Propane heat for garage is going to be my choice.

ducnut likes this.