1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finishing Shop Garage

Discussion in 'General' started by xTomKx, May 23, 2019.

1. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

I have been working on my current shop garage for some time. It's about 30x30 partially attached with a unfinished room above.

I ran 220v electric, additional 110v outlets, added insulation. It is now ready for walls and ceiling.

So now I'm considering:

Drywall walls and ceiling 5/8"
    Plywood walls/Drywall ceiling
    Particle board
    T-111

What is the best option and why?

2. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I would go plywood walls, drywall ceiling. My reasoning: T-111 is overkill and mainly exterior use, drywall walls suck if any moisture gets on them and particle board in the same vein...it sucks when wet.

Plywood walls are fantastic when you want to add a shelf, etc.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

type x on ceiling
    if you do walls add blocking where you may want to add shelves or hang cabinets.

Motofun352 likes this.
  4. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Plywood from floor up 4'
    Pegboard 4' to ceiling
    Insulation behind it all

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

If its going to get used and dirty, I'd say tin the whole thing. Reflects a ton a light and you can hose it off when nasty.

Thistle likes this.
  6. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

I'm building my own shop right now and will be using plywood on some portions for hanging shelves, cabinets etc... The remainder of the inside walls will be steel siding. The reason for the steel is two-fold; most of the work inside the shop will be welding (my side business) - thus fire prevention is a consideration. The second reason is that I realized that I had inadvertently ordered too much siding material (double-ordered my roof... :rolleyes:) so my plans are to 'flip' the panels it and put the galvanized side out - I may paint or leave as is. Either way, it will deflect grinding and welding sparks with minimal fire risk. My building is also all steel construction (i-beams).

I'd go with the plywood option. Drywall sucks for moisture, bumps and dings.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

For a little nicer cleanup and longevity, putting FRP over the 4' high plywood wall covering is an option.

8. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I went all sheetrock and semigloss paint for cleanability.

blue03R6 likes this.
  9. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Aren't there insurance issues if you go with wood in a garage? I could be wrong.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

aren't most garages made with wood?

11. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

He's referring to fire resistance

Plywood burns pretty easy, whether you are cutting, welding, grinding, etc.

Drywall has much better fire resistance. FRP up 4' over drywall makes cleaning easier

TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  12. peakpowersports

Problem with FRP is it reminds me of cheap campground bathrooms and mobile homes.

But this looks good!
    [​IMG]

xTomKx likes this.
  13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Looks good, but you'll want to keep plenty of ear protection on hand

14. peakpowersports

Fill it up and it shouldnt be too bad

15. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

If I go with plywood what thickness do you recommend?

16. This. An electrical fault in a shitty Chinese outlet will turn plywood into a raging inferno in a very short amount of time.

17. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

Good reason to use conduit and metal boxes

dobr24 likes this.
  18. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

1/2" to 5/8 is fine. For cost effectiveness go with a B/C plywood and paint it...it will look good.

19. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Happy with how my painted plywood came out. Also screwed all the panels on so they can be removed (theoretically) for working behind them if required.

20. xTomKx

xTomKx Well-Known Member

Got any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk