1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Field Day?

Discussion in 'General' started by SpeedyTide, Apr 1, 2018.

1. And you aren’t skating, you are going to scope out the moms.

2. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

Never heard of a field day for school until I moved to TN. As an elementary school principal, it is/was a pain in the ass. I handed it off to a committee and told them to deal with it.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I went to school pretty much of all the moms already. As the Rolling Stones said "TIiIime, is not on there side, no it ain't" lol.

Local to where? I'm an hour east of Toronto near Mosport. African lion safari might be the drive through place?

4. That’s the place, African Lion Safari. Windshield wipers beware of monkeys:)

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

LOL....i think a good idea would be to have the kids Field Day the school....maybe teach them a few things.

Razr likes this.
  6. OMG field day was the best fucking thing ever. My whole town revolved around sports, including the school and teachers.

Field day was legit. I spent weeks training for it. They set everything up the night before and I used to sneak out of the house about 11pm and walk to the school and practice the obstacle course so I would already have an idea of the layout. I held the course record for 3 years.

Businesses closed down and people from town came to watch it (it was held on the football field). Kids not participating were let out of class to watch. The stadium would be full.

100yrd dash, 40yrd Sprint, bean bag toss, obstacle course, football toss, shot-put, potato sack races, hurdles, 1 mile run, broad jump, etc.

It wasn’t any of this hippie shit, it was real sporting events and it was fucking intense. I wouldn’t be able to sleep for 2 days prior to it.

I am scared to see how field day is now that the “everybody’s a winner” candyasses are trying to take over the country.

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Dude, you are a cheater.:crackup:

Good to know young broome was just as competitive as present-day broome.

I don't remember us ever having Field Day in Illinois.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Skateboarding, or roller skating?

9. Dan Dubeau

Some reason I was thinking field trip, not (Track and) field days.....Only one coffee so far, and didn't really read the replies....

I don't think they have them here anymore, I could be wrong but we used to when I was a kid. High jump was my favorite. Wasn't particularly good at any of it, and doubt I ever "ribboned". In grade 6 a couple buddies and I were "Gym monitor's", which meant we got to skip class and set up all the equipment. We got so much extra practice, it was awesome.

10. Dan Dubeau

Neither, Ice. Up here we don't preface skating with ice. It's just assumed that if you say skating, it means on ice. It's a dead give away that you're not Canadian when you say ice skating.

beac83 likes this.
  11. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Everyone gets a ribbon now.

12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Hell yes! Man it was the highlight of the year in elementary and middle school. Down here its still kicking. Our middle school, gym everyday, run the mile once a week and every sport has a teacher vs kids game after the last game of the season. Have faith, still a lot of competition around.

SpeedyTide and Gorilla George like this.
  13. There were no rules against scoping the field the day before. Technically, it wasn’t cheating...it was proper preplanning. It’s not my fault the other contestants didn’t do their due diligence. :D

14. Odilup

Odilup Well-Known Member

My kid has it. Tug of war, Sprint race, kickball....The works. He is in private school though.

SpeedyTide likes this.
  15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Southern thing? Never heard of it. We took daily recess pretty serious though, football game everyday, rain or shine. Teeth were lost, noses were bloodied, tears were shed.

16. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

Our son is home schooled ,so there are lots of field days.

17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:eek:

In the days of yore (heh-heh) if the kid fell on his face during a track event the coach would reassure him by telling him to hit the showers and he still had time to make the meeting of the chess club.

18. SirCrashAlot

SirCrashAlot Well-Known Member

When I was elementary school they called it "Run for Fun". We competed against the other elementary schools in the county . 50 yrd dash, pull ups, 500 meter relay, that kind of stuff. They gave ribbons up to 8th place lol.

19. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

There's both! :D

20. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I know right? I was thinking the same thing! :crackup: