1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellow Toyota nuts, need help

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Jul 13, 2021.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

We are doing a minor resuscitation on a 97 Tercel and need new mid brake lines......the metal ones running from MC to the rear under the carriage, not the hoses at calipers. It looks like the oem from Yota may be discontinued........at least I can’t find them online. Anyone know of aftermarket parts suppliers for these models? I realise it’s not an old hilux or Supra with a million cult followers, but I can’t find a thing. Thanks

2. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

With a little effort you can make them. A flaring tool is relatively cheap and you can buy the lines in straight sections at any parts store such as Auto Zone, etc.
    I just made one to replace a rusted line on a tow vehicle I keep at the beach. Salty environments are hard on undercarriages.

beac83, BHP41 and black knight like this.
  3. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Normal practice is to make your own. Buy the tubing and rent or buy a good flaring tool. It's a tedious job, but not a hard one.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yep..time to learn a new skill. It's not hard just tedious. Use the old lines as your patterns for length and bend directions.

5. britx303

Yep doing it myself was the next step. Pre-made was my last ditch hope trying to avoid more Work:D

6. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

No value add here just remembering that a Tercel was my first car. When I bought it used the CV joint was making noise, drove it for years and many miles and when I sold it the CV joint was still in tact and rattling about. It was a great car!

britx303 likes this.
  7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You can buy straight lines with fittings in a bunch of lengths as well. I wouldn't waist my time with a doing fittings.

Also, check rock auto.

BigBird likes this.
  8. britx303

Yep, great little cars. Not very many small 4banger Yotas I haven’t liked. The geo/yota gen corollas are the exception! Hate ‘em. This Tercel has been a family owned car since new.

9. britx303

Rock auto was DOA for the lines. Great for the rest though

10. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Have you looked at a local pull a part? I would think making your own would probably be easier, but its an option.

11. Venom51

You aren't going to find a Tercel in a pull-a-part. Those have long since gone to the crusher.

12. britx303

You must not be from the DC area where English is only sometimes a 2nd language:D Anything from big “T” ain’t going to the crusher:crackup:

13. Venom51

Not enough money in the world to make me live anywhere close to that area.

StaccatoFan and britx303 like this.
  14. britx303

Somehow......I expected you to say that:D

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Rear brakes are for beta cucks.

:D

969 and britx303 like this.
  16. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Having just gone through replacing lines on a neighbors Hondas rear brakes, I recommend getting standard lines with fittings included, and joining in at existing junction blocks/locations. Use unions if you have to make longer lines. The tools that are rented at any of the auto parts places are crap, and you will curse left and right when you can't get the second flare centered. The only flare tool I would use, is one designed for one size tubing only, that keeps the second flare tool centered on the line. If you use a multi tubing size flare tool, the second flare will most likely be off-center. Especially if trying to do this on a line that is already on the car, in a position that is hard to get to.

Don't worry about following the exact factory routing. Just make sure the line is secure, has clearance to moving items, won't catch anything, or vibrate against anything that could rub a hole in it. I found it helpful to get a coat hanger or some long thin brazing rod to make a pattern first, if you don't have the original line to copy. That also lets you gage for the standard length of tube(s) you will use, to take up any extra length you may have. Or take a shorter route if the stock lengths are slightly short.

BigBird likes this.
  17. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Trust me (right between Baltimore Murderland and the District of Corpses here myself) once my son is out of high school, the D-Zum Express is on it's way anywhere that's peaceful, landlocked and quiet.

britx303 likes this.
  18. britx303

I still have 17 years til I can retire and get far away from here. Hooray :cool:

BigBird likes this.
  19. britx303

I jokingly said to my wife the other day when I spotted the leak........”fuck it, let’s bend it back and vice grip it shut. It’s only the back anyways” :crackup:

BigBird and ChemGuy like this.
  20. dudutzu

dudutzu Well-Known Member

If you're going to make your own line, then I'd recommend using copper-nickel tubing, easy to bend and flare, but do yourself a favor and spend the extra money on SURR branded tubing.