1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feel stupid for asking about this but.....

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cincykid, Feb 21, 2017.

1. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

I havent been on the BBS for about 3 years. Retired from racing about 4 years ago. ON that note, I just picked up a 2006 GSXR 600 that had not been taken care of. Needing to do an oil change on it and have NO frickin idea what I used to use or how much it took. I dont think the previous owner switched to synthetic, but who knows. Just looking to find out what brand and viscocity of oil and how much she needs. Seems odd to have to ask that as long as I raced gsxr's but hey, I AM 46 so shit is starting to fade away!! :) Any help is appreciated. Thanks!. And yes, I have been missing Sunday rides in the leathers and track days, so thats why I bought it. Been riding my multistrada since I retired and it's just not the same.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Any good oil. Swap to synthetic. Not sure on the amount but isn't it on the case cover by the oil fill?

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's stamped into the clutch cover. If I remember correct it take ~3 quarts to fill the crankcase and filter. I use Rotella T6 in both my bikes which is 5w-40, and I've always stuck with OEM Suzuki filters.

4. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Use OEM filter, crush washer and Oil......Oil filter is in the front of the motor between the header. Should be 2500 ml (2.6 US qt)quarts 3 exactly with new filter. I just dump 3 in and ROLL. No Sythetic shit will slip all over. And make sure you have play in the clutch lever 5mm at least or you glaze over the plates LOLOL I did

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Nope....no issues with running synthetic oil. Its not being synthetic or not synthetic that causes clutch slippage....it's whether or not its motorcycle specific JASO-MA certified oil. Non motorcycle certified oils can have friction modifiers that don't play nice with a motorcycle's wet clutch and THAT's what causes slippage concerns.

I highly doubt Suzuki would make this (which I've used several times) if running synthetic oil in your bike causes clutch issues.

[​IMG]

Steeltoe, emry and pscook like this.
  6. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, once I started taking things apart to clean it, it all came back to me. It was just the oil weight I could not remember. Probably just going to go with the Suzuki stuff for this one. Isnt the Rotella T6 listed as "diesel"?
    It just amazes me how nasty these guys riding these on the street let their bikes get. The shit that was built up behind the front sprocket was ridiculous. There was so much grease that had not been cleaned up on the back wheel that it looked like the 2" of rim that meets the hub was black and not blue (stock blue rims). Took 1/2 hour just to clean that alone. It was approx 1/8" thick all the way around.

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's been discussed ad nauseam on here :D

But yes, it is a diesel oil....which is also motorcycle certified :)

[​IMG]

8. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Well aware of it......................Thks. I change it out every weekend so Syth is not needed :)

9. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just make sure the Oil is full and Gold..... As far as a Filter FRAM PH6018's have been good on all my GSXR's and TLR's the last 20 Years...

10. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

lots of people run rotella in bikes. dirt and street. i suggest the blue jug (synth) if ya do. it's tested way higher than the white jug (and according to shell tech when i called the #, the "synth" is actually a blend)

... why ....