1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on Sunday Motors?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by YoshiHNS, Sep 7, 2021.

1. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Thinking about picking one up, but I'm not seeing much info out there on them. The little I've found on them is that they do the thing, but you definitely need to strip it down and go through all the bits to correct any assembly issues. They're running the same engines as the Ohvales (160 and 190), but then I haven't seen much on how those engines are holding up.

Buddy has a small training track on his property we've been running when the weather has been decent. Using an XL70 right now, but it's pretty mint, and just crossed the 1k mile mark. At $2400, the 160 is nice and cheap for a beater trainer and for the new riders in our group to use. No one wants to wreck the 70. If the 160 and 190 engines swap, I could order the engine kit later to run in the local 190 race class.

Are they worth it? Dealer an hour away carries them. Trying to decide on plan for next year, and this or Ohvale are on the table so long as I don't pick up a stupid project over the winter.

2. mglax13

mglax13 Well-Known Member

I don't have one, but I did a bunch of research on YCF pit bikes, which is made by the same company, and the reviews have ben great and they're apparently very reliable. YCF is a French dirt bike company, but the bikes are built in China to pretty high quality standards. I was also watching some pit bike racing recently on TV and it was basically a bunch of hooligan shit done by some big named motocross guys, pretty funny, but they had a mini flat rack race and were exclusively using the Sunday bikes so they got some some marketing notoriety behind them. Was enough for my to decide to pickup their little 150cc supermoto.

3. Benmont

Benmont Well-Known Member

They do 3 rounds of 6 hour endurances on the YCF155s out here and out of 4 bikes 3 have blown up so far this year. Dropped valves, dropped trans gears very hard to start or only bumping.

4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Good info. Wonder if the Ohvales are having the same issues with those engines. I know someone with an Ohvale 190 in MA had an unexpected engine issue and had to replace it.

But also met a couple guys with the S187 and they didn't have any issues. Loved them. Not sure if they actually flat tracked on them or just used them like pit bikes.

Only vid I found where someone goes into details and is critical of the bikes.

5. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

You mention 160, but the YCF comes with options for either the 150 or 190. Maybe that was a typo(?)

In case not then, on the Ohvales, the 160s and 190s are not swappable, as-is. The two engines are built by different manufacturers also. I've had no issues with engine reliability on the 190. I rebuilt the topend, then even reinstalled the original piston because I wanted to rule out not installing something right. I was wrong but now I have an almost-new piston.

Just FYI (and TMI).

6. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

I owned a Sunday 190 for a short while. The 190 is a Daytona motor, at least mine was.

The motor seemed fine, but the front suspension on those things is junk. I sold it off before I did a bunch of research on beefing it up.

7. SteveNYC

SteveNYC New Member

Screenshot_20220221-104056_Chrome.jpg View attachment 194345 View attachment 194345
    i just purchased a new leftover 19 sunday 187. its got the daytona motor and same crappy front end. its not bad for a china bike. nearest dirt oval is near middletown, ny ..oak valley raceway. gonna give it a shot. any northeast members??

E Reed likes this.