1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Federal Government Shutdown

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by galloway840, Jan 3, 2019.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

There is a difference between not necessary and not critical. An easy example is payroll vs border guard. Support people have a valid reason also. A local example would be the street officer vs the desk sergeant. Both have a need to be there but the officer on the street is critical.

2. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

That is a solid, articulate, and productive statement.

YamahaRick and SuddenBraking like this.
  3. sheepofblue

I was illustrating the flaw in your logic. This is both parties that are shutting it down. Trump could sign a CR that was proposed with the 'promise' to negotiate the wall later. The thing is 100% of the time that promise was made it has been a lie and he knows it. Pelosi could agree to some funding for the wall or even all of it. However when it works people might remember all the lies told about how it was worthless. Thus an impasse created by BOTH sides. Rhetoric aside that is reality. Or we could go back to examine statements that are not being held to like Pelosi saying she would not run for speaker prior to the election. Or a million other things from both sides.

4. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with some of that but I'm sticking to the fact that Trump has had two years to get this done. He waits to the dems control the house and tries to blame them. If he can simply implement an emergency order, why doesn't he just do that and end all this?

So that we're clear, I'm 100% for immigration reform, increased border security, and against sanctuary cities. I think the wall will be ineffective vs the associated costs.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This is about punishing the Dems and wresting power from them. It’s not about the wall per se. That’s why he didn’t do it with Big R in control. Punish your enemies and reward your friends. First rule of politics. Trump wants to pin the shutdown on the Dems and make it apparent to the body politic that they’d rather punish Americans than secure the border. It’s symbolic and high risk / high reward. But Trump has big cojones, that’s why he beat the entire US political system and media.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

While we are at it, why hasn't anyone prior to Trump done anything? Congress has abdicated their responsibility to produce a real budget. These CRs are simply passing the buck again and again and again for campaign talking points. I blame that on the past several administrations, R & D. I hope Trump doesn't cave because the House is where the blame truly lies.

cav115, crashman, Britt and 1 other person like this.
  7. knutz

knutz Well-Known Member

This is some funny shit right here.

That’s the great thing about the private market.

Sooner or later it will decide that. When it comes to government positions it never gets decided until the economy completely collapses.

Give me all the sob stories you want . I don’t give a shit. They chose to work in the corruptness that is government or chose to do business with government. Now they can deal with the consequences of those choices.

Until it’s all brought under control (spending , waste, corruptness) even the “needed” workers should suffer.

cav115, ToofPic and Britt like this.
  8. sheepofblue

I blame the Republican leadership in the house as much or more than Trump for the delay.

As to effectiveness read this wildly left wing sob story about the wall that was built in San Diego:
    https://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-jacumba-border-fence-20180309-htmlstory.html

Bottom line it made it harder and that is what they whine about in the article.

9. sheepofblue

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Millions will die.

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Just start calling it a fence.
    After all, schumer and pelosi are 100% for a fence, agree it is necessary and already voted yes on a fence.
    They say fences work, but walls don't - because they are morons. So just call it a fence.

Banditracer likes this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

What’s the over/under on days this continues? I’m saying 10 days - more and more people are starting to be affected (even in this thread) daily.

Trump painted himself into a corner by claiming responsibility for the shutdown before it even happened, so like it or not people are associating that with him. An interesting negotiating tactic for sure.

13. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Seems plains are still flying....

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Oz is powerful that way.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  15. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Keep it shut down. Give the Prez the ability to redirect resources from bloated activities to essential activities and we're 25% better off. Sorry, no government cheese for you. :eek:

16. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

I’ll take the over.

17. sheepofblue

Actually plains are totally on the ground

badmoon692008 and Motofun352 like this.
  18. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Not abyssal ones.

19. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

What if you park a bunch of treadmills in them?

20. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

We hired him to build a wall and expect him to stand firm so yes he owns it and yes it will grow his support.

cav115 and ToofPic like this.