1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Farmer bail outs. Good or bad policy?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by 50Joe, Jan 2, 2020.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

2. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

3. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

All bailouts suck balls. But I will say that there are some things that the country simply cannot do without. Bullets, food, and water.

speeddaddy likes this.
  4. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

No big deal in light of past history.

5. G 97

G 97 Garth

Phl218 likes this.
  6. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

So if I own a warehouse where I didn't/couldn't produce anything due to hardship can I get a handout?

ducnut likes this.
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Would you have objected to a loaf of bread costing $14, because the grain was sold at production cost?

Subsidies suck. The thumb of the government on the scales of any market is complete bullshit — yet here we are.

There were times where the costs of fuel and bait were so high that lobsterman lost money on every lobster they caught. So they tied up, and didn’t go to haul until the prices came up enough to make it worthwhile.

They got Sherman Act’ed.

Which is worse?

ducnut likes this.
  8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Did you purchase dumbass insurance?

9. In Your Corner

How would that be the same as farmers having losses reimbursed?

10. Chino52405

The whole point of the piece is that it's money over and above the insurance they already have. "We call it Trump money." They're already insured to a point in a way other businesses could never be and now they're getting handouts. Fall on hard times? Sell or borrow against the assets like every other business.

ducnut likes this.
  11. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I don’t know enough about this subject to make a response of any value.

:)

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Like Welfare, if it is needed fine, but if it becomes a "Life Style" or Long term business plan, then No...
    Here comes the flame.."what are you going to eat when farmers go out of business..and there's no food...blah blah blah....
    Generational Harvesting of Taxpayer Funds is NOT the answer.

We are not talking about small family farms, we are talking Industrial Farming...ADM, Cargil..ect.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah nothing like creating a statement for a story. Because you know, all farmers call it this.

14. G 97

G 97 Garth

Except ADM and Cargil don’t actually farm. :Poke:

15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

What do they do??

16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Many are missing some key details regarding this issue. I can only assume you didn't read the NPR link. No Congressional oversight, excess payments, etc. Seems like very little to no control over the handouts. Giving chunks of cash out based on farm size weather they have actual crops planted or not. The auto bail outs had massive Congressional oversight back to when Bush was POTUS and Obama just carried through what was already in motion from the Bush administration. That goes for the banks too. "Too big to fail" was a term thrown around. Fuck that.

17. In Your Corner

I noticed in the article they were lamenting cuts to SNAP being made
    while payments to farmers increased and "I don't even know how to describe it except to
    say that it is cruel, it is unfair, and it is clearly designed to support the president's base, as
    he sees it, as opposed to those whom he sees as being undeserving.".
    No mention that SNAP payments have been on the way down since 2014 due to reduced
    need as the economy improves, or that SNAP gets close to 80 billion a year while the increase
    to offset tariff losses was less than 15 billion.
    Just the usual TDS crying.

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Typical reply from you. So predictable. You take the little context out to suit your own personal agenda and viewpoint. My issue is where is the Congressional oversight and controls? If Obama was doing this you would be going ape shit.

19. Chino52405

I only pulled that quote out to highlight this was different money. As 50Joe pointed out, handed out with no oversight by the guy they may be inclined to blame their farmed losses on.

20. In Your Corner

Where do you get a lack of oversight? I don't see any details.
    I can assure you that any funds spent were provided by Congress as
    there is no other source.