1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F2 gurus... Cam chain / tensioner question.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Nanotech9, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Nanotech9

Nanotech9 Well-Known Member

my apologies if this is a dumb question. I have asked my local mechanics and they have no answer, so i turn to you...

'93 F2 wih 32k mi on it. On start, cam chain would rattle for a few sec or even up to a full min. Wouldn't happen every time.

Installed a new OEM tensioner and gasket. Pre-primed it etc. Rattling became worse.

Flipped the gasked upsidedown (suposedly creates more preassure on the chain). Rattling is less than before, but not gone completely.

Question. Is there something i'm missing in my diagnostics of the problem, or is my 30k mi. chain so worn that i need to install a fresh one?

THANKS!
    Eric

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The chain very well could be gone,why would want to put a stock one on instead of a adjustable one?

3. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

the f2 started the big craze with the manaul cam chain tensioners 30000 miles the chain guides could be worn too esp. if the chain has been rattling...

4. Nanotech9

Nanotech9 Well-Known Member

Expert - I went with the OEM replacement because it is for my street bike.

I will look into replacing teh chain and guides.

I just spent $70 on this OEM tensioner - should i get rid of it on ebay and buy myself a manual tensioner?

Thanks Again!
    Eric

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Yes,by the way,you was robbed!

6. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

To add more pain to your injuries...I have seen a manual APE tensioner go for 10.00 on EBAY.

David