1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F150 advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Lavana, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Lavana

Lavana The coming

For 25k I can find a v8 f150 base xlt with no tow package and a 5.5 bed. It will probably be a rental but it will have less than 15k miles.

For about 25k I can find a higher mileage xlt with tow package and hard to find 6.5 bed but 15-17 year model.

What is a better buy? Any advice? I can probably put an aftermarket hitch for less than 300. The only thing I wouldn’t have is the long bed.

2. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Do you need a truck or a large car with a small cargo area? Real question.

3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I'd rather have a nicer truck with a few options a few years old than a new stripped out model.

MELK-MAN and Chango like this.
  4. Lavana

Lavana The coming

Well I went from a 15 f250 6.7l in 2015 to selling it last year. Now I’m driving a 13 f150 half cab and it’s a pain in the ass with a kid because rear door opens the opposite way. I really use the bed and sometimes is not enough.

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Okay. The base will be a 2018?

Interior is the same, headlights, grille, taillights and tailgate are only outside differences. Mechanically 2018 5.0 got a major revamp with dual injection instead of just direct injection. Same with 2.7 ecoboosts and they went to a 10 spd tranny.

F150s are like legos. You can add and turn options in forscan if you wanna add items later. Buddy had a base xlt 2015 and added brake controller, reverse camera and the color dash screen instead of the “calculator” looking thing, and went from 4” media screen to 8”. All direct plug and plays.

6. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Sounds like a 6.5bed model then. Or a Chevy with normal opening extended cab rear doors.

7. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Get a lariat and skip the king ranch, xlt, or platinum editions IMHO

R1M370 likes this.
  8. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Maybe drive both as the 18’ got the 10spd trans and additional direct injection and the others have the old 6spd and port injection only. Not sure what the difference feels like behind the wheel. Let us know if you drive both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

How big is the kiddo? Anymore on the way? The Chevy ext cab back seat is a joke after being in a Supercrew, an infant carrier can really only go in the middle unless you’re 4’9”.

I think you typically have to go a little higher trim level to get it but you can find a Supercrew with a 6.5’ bed...might be difficult to find on the used market though.

10. maslov

maslov Well-Known Member

I bought an ‘16 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost in 17 with 30k miles for about $35k... it was an old lease. 6.5 bed extended range gas tank tow package and all the other goodies... so I’d say go with an older model year and get more goodies on the truck. Well worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phl218 likes this.
  11. Rebel635

Other way around. Pre 2018 they had direct injection only. Carbon deposit issues across the spectrum of manufacturers have them adding port injection to “wet” the valves and stop carbon buildup.

As far as the 10spd. Meh. At the same time I have the 2018 friend had the 2015. Both 2.7 ecoboosts. He’s since then bought a 2018 and dislikes the 10spd. It tends to skip shift in lower gears and can be a bit “wtf was that shift for?”

He says he liked the 6r80 better. As far as gearing. Both final gears are very close to each other. I wonder why it has 10 soda hibesrly. After 6th they’re so closely spaced I don’t see the point.

Phl218 and nlzmo400r like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

[​IMG] Whatever your buy, put those wheels on it and lower it.

Attached Files:

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

Bought a 2013 platinum 2 years ago with 40k miles for $33k. Comes with all the options basically. Nice and quiet inside compared to stripped models..Ford certified on dealer lot. 6spd trans (but not sure you need 10spd in a half ton?). Shifts like butter
    Had 2019 as loaner with 10spd, it just skipps gears anyway for daily driving. Love the 3.5l motor on my truck for day driving more than the v8 in the loaner i had.

GRH likes this.
  14. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Get the longer bed.

Always

15. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I'd get a 10' bed if they made it but I use mine for work every day

16. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I just bought an '18 F-150 with the crew cab (the half doors in back) and 2.7 ecoboost. I got the XLT but it came with a bunch of extras, some fancy touch screen shit. I wanted the cloth interior (Don't like sticking to leather seats in the FL summer). Tow package and 6' bed. $33K plus tax, tag, title ended up out the door around $37.5K.

I got the smaller cab because we don't have kids, so it's rarely used. And the short bed with the smaller cab can still fit an R6 in the bed with the tailgate closed! The Super Cab doesn't do that, it comes with the 5.5' bed. I don't know when they started doing this, but the half doors in the back open 180 degrees, so they are nearly flat against the side of the bed. Pretty nice getting shit in and out.

The tow package I got didn't come with trailer brake controller, or the fancy backup camera deal that guides you to the hitch, but whatever.

The long bed has poor resale so if you are looking for a deal, a used long bed might be a better deal.

I have 3000 miles on it so far, I love the truck. But I was coming from a '99 lifted F-250 so this baby is luxurious! The 10 speed+turbo lag can be a little slow to respond sometimes, you have to drive it a little differently than an old throttle cable truck. But overall I like it.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Turbo lag these days? I thought they got rid of it with the electronics and EFI?

18. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is. But if you're rolling along 15MPH and then you decide to take off, you put your foot down and it takes a heartbeat before anything happens. Probably because it's in 8th gear and wants to go to second or something.

If you want a smooth ride when driving in town, you have to either put it in ECO mode (I think it stays in a taller gear this way so it eliminates the quick downshifting every time you touch the gas), or be very smooth with the throttle.

19. Rebel635

Very little turbo lag, that delay is it deciding what exactly you want then downshifting a bazillion gears.

Gino230 likes this.
  20. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

Negative, pre-2018 was port injection only. GM switched to only direct injection within the last few years but Ford 5.0s have been port since they came out in 2011 up thru 2017. 2018 added dual injection systems and saw a small bump in hp/tq numbers.