1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F you DMV

Discussion in 'General' started by Krypt RR, May 13, 2016.

1. madcat6183

madcat6183 2006 GSXR

51 minutes to renew my license. So many people go there with nothing prepared. Drives ME NUTS. They don't take anything but cash or check at my local ones in OH and people try to argue with them about that. Wanting to use plastic but, well, uh, no card readers.... Like come the F on people.

2. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

Lol! I had a title transfer and registration on an out of state rebuilt titled motorcycle in less than 30 minutes! Oh and an affadavit. :crackup:

3. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Isn't an Alfa with a blown engine redundant? :D

Just went through this same infuriating situation and couldn't get away with the ole' wink wink I bought it for $500 with the seller since I bought it from a leasing agency out of state. Had to pay all the taxes to them before I could get the title.

So let me get this straight. If a new car sells for $30K it's taxed. Then it gets resold a few years later for $20K and its taxed. Then it's sold again a few years later for $10K and it's taxed. So in the end a $30K car is taxed as if it's worth $60K. Sure seem like BS to me.

Although I had heard that if you buy a new car and turn in a used one, the amount of taxes you pay is reduced since the total transaction costs are what is taxed. I plan to test that theory with this vehicle.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
    rd400racer likes this.
  4. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

What's even worse is when you buy it across state lines and pay with PayPal as a gift after you look it over and decide to buy it. When's the last time you payed tax on an Internet transaction where a product didn't originate from your state?

5. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

A lot of Amazon purchases. I know they have a distro center in GA, but not all my purchases come from that center but they're all taxed when buying from Amazon.

6. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Flate Rate tax is $25 in IL on used bikes with more than 2500 miles.

TakeItApart likes this.
  7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I got questioned on the price of a bike once. They thought it was too low. I explained it came in a box and I would walk out to the truck and get it for them. They let it slide after that.

8. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

How the heck did the extra E get into "flat". :(

9. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

That's crazy. May be the only thing IL govt does right.

10. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I spoke too soon.
    I did my research on buying an out of state, rebuilt titled vehicle and bringing it to PA before pulling the trigger. The DMV here states that you "may" be required to supply additional information and or undergo an enhanced inspection to have you vehicle titled. Once I had my paperwork in order, I went to a messenger service to get my title work done and register my motorcycle. Thirty minutes later I was out of there. I guess I didn't need additional paperwork or anything else.

Yesterday I get a phone call and a voicemail from the messenger service. Apparently I do need an enhanced inspection and they asked me to bring my plate back! If they didn't possess my title, I would have thought about just ignoring them. So it looks like now I'll have to pay an "enhanced inspector" to get a sign off so I can title and tag it.