1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F..k the wedding photographer just cancelled

Discussion in 'General' started by Boman Forklift, Aug 10, 2022.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Except the desert rant and moving

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I don’t know I really used his advice on licking the alphabet. More T, More T.

Or the skit on why people live in the desert, nothing grows here, nothing is going to grow here!!

I actually thought he was pretty great. Amazingly, he was from East Peoria and Richard Pryor is from from Peoria, Il. Our two claims to fame, other than the Peoria TT.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Beautiful pics, Rob - congrats :beer:

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Morning Rob. I don't want to thread jack, so I'm asking if you want to make this the official "bullshit happening before a wedding" thread or you'd rather I start my own?

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I vote for keeping it in one thread. The mini-blonde is getting serious about her current flame and rings have been discussed. Serious enough that the blonde woman has damn near planned the wedding without input from mini-her. Things might get interesting when they start to butt heads. Anyone got a garage apartment for rent?

6. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You don't have a man cave you can retreat to ?

7. rd400racer

I've got a man cave, and it's full of bourbon. Let's just say my story starts with a daughter that was all set for a simple wedding, but things changed and now it's out of control.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Not really. The blonde woman is an interior designer and omnipotent.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Is it the daughter or the spousal unit that is out of control?

10. rd400racer

Spouses family (I'll expand with Rob's approval)

11. Boman Forklift

Spill it, baby! I can pm you my number if you need to talk.

I find what worked best for me was to just bring a stack of money and stay out of all the planning.

Cluelessness has many benefits during stressful times like wedding planning

BigBird likes this.
  12. Boman Forklift

Go for it. No thread has ever stayed on one topic on the beeb!!

13. rd400racer

All good, thanks. Heading to lunch but I'll spill when I get back. Will make me feel better to unload:D

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We're in here comparing John Belushi to Jerry Lewis. I think you're good.

Banditracer, rd400racer and R Acree like this.
  15. rd400racer

May be tl;dr for some, but here goes.

Daughter is getting married in 2 1/2 weeks. This was announced a year ago and the venue was selected and paid for 6 months ago. Location is a nice horse farm just outside of Louisville, just a beautiful setting. We love the guy she's marrying. I've known him since he was born, and my daughter has been with him since she was 14; that's 13 years. His mom was my next door neighbor when I was a kid and the first girl I ever kissed. Yep, we're a big little town. His mom married a guy who comes from a very wealthy family. That's where it gets interesting.

So the dad has never worked a day in his life, trust fund kid from the start. His great grandfather was Four Roses distillery. If you Wiki the company, the family name is prominently in the history. But the catch is he sold the company to Seagram's back in 1943, and back then you didn't get the astronomical sums like you did now, but I'm sure it was substantial. Also his father made a good sum in real estate. I grew up with all their kids so I know them well. Everybody knew who the rich kids were in the 70's because they stood out more then they do now. Now the weird part that's causing issues.

My wife and I are paying for the entire wedding. The grooms family never showed interest in any part of it and we kind of expected that. They have an air about them like they're beneath dealing with anything so trivial. To make it worse, my daughter goes to dinner at their exclusive country club a couple times a month and the grandmother actually asked her grandson (the groom) if our family could afford a wedding in a tone loud enough for my daughter to hear.

The only thing the grooms family has to do as far as we're concerned is the rehearsal dinner. They booked it last week at one of the most exclusive private clubs in Louisville that they've been a member of for years. All the old Louisville monied belong here. It was going to be just under $10K for 50 people, but I don't give a shit because we're paying for the wedding. Then this past Monday we start hearing from the groom that it's not taking place at this club and they're looking for other locations. Last night the groom gets a long email from his grandmother (and she's a piece of work) asking if he's sure he wants to go through with this! That they hadn't been consulted or allowed to take any part in the planning of this wedding and they don't like that they weren't allowed to select who they wanted to come from their side of the family (all lies, the grooms father was asked this question 6 months ago!). Of course my daughter is losing it and crying on the phone to mom, which in turn gets me turned up to 11 and I'm ready to go to this grandma's house and let her have it (vocally of course).

And then the reality of the situation hit me...THEY'RE FUCKING BROKE! These hoity assholes have been living off the vestiges of long ago money and the till is drying up. It's easy to belong to fancy clubs when the initiation was paid for 50 years ago, and they're barely hanging on. The $10K for the rehearsal was coming from the grandfathers trust and someone decided that was too much (the trustee from what we heard). Dad sure doesn't have enough money to pay for a pizza party. So now they want to act all hurt that they weren't included in this when they just didn't want to participate from the beginning.

Going forward, it's time for my future son in law to grow a pair of balls and confront this dysfunctional family and set them straight. Tell the grandma to butt the fuck out and dad to get his shit together. We're also telling him to have them forget the rehearsal dinner at all and we'll take care of it with one little catch...no one from his side of the family is invited. If any of them dare to say a word at the wedding, I told my wife that I'm telling them to leave the property immediately. We paid for the thing and we can say who stays and who goes. Fuck them, I'll never see them again.

Of course what pisses me off is what my daughter is going through when this should be the happiest time of her life. And since we're all Type A personalities here, we know how we act when someone messes with our family. A year ago we offered to give the happy couple a substantial amount of money if they had a simple wedding in our backyard. My daughter very much regrets not taking that option.

The happy couple. Yeah, he's hipster as they come but a good dude.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So, what was the final take on Animal House?

YamahaRick likes this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agree on the future SIL growing a pair but on the rest - stop the petty bullshit and tell the kiddo not to stress over it. In laws and regular family can all be shit and it's not got a damn thing to do with her or him or their relationship. No one cares what some old delusional bitch thinks. If they do then their opinion isn't worth shit either.

If she loves him then marry him and if the family gets too out of hand you ghost them. But if you do a rehearsal and start getting into the not inviting and shit, then you yourself are getting involved in things that are between the two of them and his family, that never ends well and isn't worth it. If you want to do the rehearsal dinner, do so with no bs caveats. Be civil when you're around them, this isn't about you or your feelings.

sheepofblue, beac83, BigBird and 6 others like this.
  18. rd400racer

Excellent point and yeah, it's petty AF. I don't want to be that guy. I think just telling the story got some of the vinegar out of my veins. Killing with kindness is probably the best bet.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

It should be easier now that he knows that there will be no inheritance.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Dreadful. But I do understand how that would've been exciting and transgressive to a teenager or college-aged guy in 1978. I probably would have enjoyed it too.