1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EZ-Up Advice Needed

Discussion in 'General' started by Critter, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Critter

Critter Registered

OK I need a new EZ-Up, it the first time I have purchased one since 2001 or so back then there were not a ton of options, now it seems like there are a bunch.

What models have you guys bought, what the hell in the difference in frame or cover?

2. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I like the speed shelter. I have an older model, twenty ish years old, the newer ones have better releases than mine.

3. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I have an old Quik Shade from 1999. But much like EZup, got kinda crappy in the last couple years in quality (Now both owned by the same company). Looking at Eurmax canopies to replace it. Been hearing ALOT of good things about them from some people who do have them. Even their "economy" version seems pretty damn tough.

peronsally I wouldn't touch an aluminum frame pop up canopy. My Quik Shade has seen heavy rain, winds that destroy the cheapo canopies in a hurry and lots and lots of sun. Unfortunately the plastic hinge points are starting to degrade after 17yrs of use.

4. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I bought an aluminum frame canopy to keep in the van (Undercover brand), it's definitely light and easy to mess with but it's also quite fragile. If the wind gets up at all it has to come down. I have a ~20 year old EZUP eclipse that's on it's third top, the frame is well-nigh indestructible.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I had a coleman 12x12 that I liked the way it setup and the material blocked the sun but didnt have the cross frame of an ezup. It was ~$150 new.

6. Eclipse II.

That is what the one STG gave me is and it is unbelievable. I've had it for over 5 years and it is still like new. Very sturdy.

Only downfall is that it is heavier than others. You need some manup when loading it, but it is worth it.

7. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I keep thinking about buying a new Eclipse to add to my vintage one, the new ones are quite slick.

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

I have a 10 X 10 Ez Up and a 10 X 15 Eurmax Both have held up great is some serious rains....

9. L8 Braker

L8 Braker 'Murica

Just to name a few....

Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, Walmart, Sports Authority, Dicks Sporting Goods, Sams Club. All these places carry 10x10 and sometimes 12x12 pop ups. Go look at them and compare. Then buy what you like.

Just consider how durable the tarp will be against the sun, rain, wind, etc over a long period of time.

10. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

The big thing, I think, is to get the kind with the frame that has the cross supports. I have an older version EZUP, forget the name, starts with an e, but not the Eclipse, the less expensive version that they no longer make, unfortunately. It has the cross supports, a heavier steel frame, and it's been holding up well.

11. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

Canopy discussions usually end up like the famous generator threads. I bought a Caravan (www.caravancanopy.com) 10x10 in 2006 and have since put about 140 days of use on it. The trick is to get the higher thread count tops, a bit more money but they last much longer. At the time Caravan sold a 250 thread count top and a 500. They also offered steel frame option over the aluminum frame, a few pounds heavier but much more durable on windy days.

12. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

The 10x15 or 10X20's are they way to go.

DucatiBomber and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

EZ-Up Eclipse II. Nothing is better for racing and the conditions we see. I've got 5 aluminum framed ones and a couple of steel with no issues. The aluminum ones are far from flimsy as well.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

10x15 or 10x20 are great - unless you have to continually set them up solo. If you're alone they get flexed a lot during setup and can be a pain in the ass, I'd rather have a pair of 10x10s.

15. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sorry. For canopies and a bunch of other things this doesn't work. I would trust the Beeb

Gorilla George likes this.
  16. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

My FirstUp 10x10 is still going after 8 or 9 years. I had to replace the top as it started leaking a little water through after about 7 years. I do secure it well (anchored on one side to the trailer and 3000W generator and tool box or tent stakes on the other side depending on surface). I do take it down or at least lower it if a windy storm rolls through.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd also suggest buying a darker colored top from EZ-Up too, especially in the south. Keeps things a lot cooler. Also leaves you the white one as a backup if the other one starts to wear (although been long enough I'm not sure where I have my spares stashed...).

18. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I have had white. The white tops are no bueno. Just general use get them dirty and after several years, they look bad. Red works well as does black. I have noticed the black ones do a much better job of keeping sun out.

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

interesting....thought the black would absorb the sun..much like people say black leathers are hotter than white leathers..

20. madkaw

madkaw Meh...

I think I have the 10'x10' but I cannot remember the model name. I bought it from Sam's Club about 6 years ago. Since then I've folded a few of the braces. I just started to replace them from EZ-UP Direct which is nice. The only other thing I can tell you about mine is that it has the detatchable awning and drop down walls plus four plates to lay weighted stuff on the leg bases.