1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Safety Wiring, Quick Question

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by r1madman, Mar 3, 2018.

1. r1madman

r1madman Well-Known Member

For reference, bike is an 04 R1, stock exhaust system...

I have where the individual cans mount to the subframe safety wired, but wondering if I also need to wire these points as well (where the cans connect to the Y pipe and where the Y pipe mounts to the subframe)

TIA

[​IMG]

2. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

The wording of the rule is rear exhaust mounts so I would say you would be good. Myself I wire them all plus the exhaust springs, probably overkill but I know they aren't going anywhere

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, wire those. That's the kind of stuff that comes loose and then parts go flying.

4. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I'm usually the first one to complain about overdoing safety wire and "there's no way that's ever coming off" but I saw a muffler go flying at a brainerd race last year on the first lap in a tight group of 6 riders... Don't know how it didn't get anyone.. I'm a believer now. And man that bike was loud for the rest of the race... :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I've seen entire systems come off - which is why we required the headers to be wired too until we got bellypans on most everything.

6. r1madman

r1madman Well-Known Member

Ok. Glad I asked! Thanks

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

My personal rule of thumb is if it can come loose and ruin your race it should be wired. No matter what the rules say.

As for the rules, everything listed there has caused someone some pain over the years. If it's required then we have seen that part come loose regularly enough to put it on the list. As things change I do remove items (like the header nuts/bolts).

r1madman likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

You know shit's fast when you have to safety wire it. :D