1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust leak on truck?

Discussion in 'General' started by omatter34, Feb 16, 2015.

1. omatter34

omatter34 Well-Known Member

2007 Nissan Titan w/120k. Sounds like it may have developed an exhaust leak. Any common spots to check or recommendations on how best to track it down? And Broome...I don't want to buy a new truck just yet. :)

2. gsxr1000bill

gsxr1000bill Well-Known Member

Heard the manifolds Crack on the titans....

3. omatter34

Thanks for the info...will take a look.
    I've had this truck since new and have had zero problems with it so far, so hopefully this doesn't turn out to be too much of a pain in the ass.

4. xrated

xrated Well-Known Member

If you live where it's cold, you can just start the truck up and look for the steam/water vapor exiting the crack/hole/whatever. The hole on the end of your exhaust system doesn't count! :)

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This. It wasn't specifically described to me as being a Titan problem but it came up several times (even from Nissan salesmen) when discussing the Armada SUV (which is based on the Titan). They said it happens on pretty much all of them and is pretty expensive to fix (in their shop, I'm sure there's a relatively inexpensive way to do it if you're mechanically competent).

6. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Not only the manifolds...check where the pipe actually comes out of the exhaust (near your rear axle). I thought I had an exhaust leak and I did; the entire rear pipe had rotted apart and fallen off!

7. jd96

jd96 Well-Known Member

Exhaust hangers have a habit of breaking on titans, it really can fuck up a good part of the exhaust. Good chance it's probably the manifolds though.

Replace your rear shackles if you're still on the originals. Scary how many people have had them snap and a leaf spring punch through the bed.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  8. omatter34

I live in Florida, so looking for vapor would be harder to do. Will be taking a look at all of the issues you've mentioned so far. A quick Google search does turn up the manifold issue that Nissan was covering for 8 years/ 80,000 miles, but it's not a true recall so I am screwed there.

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I would probably look where all the noise is coming from.....just sayin....

10. omatter34

Never thought of that:rolleyes::D

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Does the noise get quieter after the engine warms up? If so, that's a exhaust manifold leak or a donut gasket.

12. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Check the manifold/head bolts, too.

13. omatter34

Noise at idle gets quieter but if I get into the gas after warm I still hear it.

14. omatter34

Done with work for the day, so I will report back soon with my findings.

15. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Have someone put their hand over the end of the tail pipe with it running, the pressure will build and the leak should become very apparent. You may even find some leaks that aren't even noticeable at any other time. Ticking when the engine is cold is normally a sign of something really close to the engine leaking.

16. omatter34

Noise is definitely coming from the front passenger side near the manifold. Can't see it to visually inspect for cracks, etc due to the heat shield that is on it. Guess I am going to have to dig a little deeper. Thanks for the suggestions.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Could the heat shield be loose?

18. jt21

jt21 JFugginT

manifolds are notorious for it on that truck, buddy has had to fix both sides of his.. throw on some headers like he did :)

19. omatter34

Seemed plenty tight.

20. omatter34

Probably why I will end up doing if I can verify that the manifolds are indeed the problem.