1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust chamber styles: GP vs side by side

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by jksoft, Dec 13, 2019.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I've been exploring various exhaust options for my RGV project and there are generally two routing options: side by side and GP style with one can on either side. I'm just curious what advantages/disadvantages there are to both? I know there are a lot of factors when designing the pipes including trying to make the lengths even, but just not sure what practical differences there are other than looks.

Personally, I like the looks of the side by side better, but the staggered GP look is also pretty cool. That one makes more sense to me as far as making the pipe lengths even.

Side by Side
    rgv side by side.jpg
    Staggered GP
    rgv gp staggered.jpg
    GP
    rgv gp even.jpg

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

All I got for this...
    A fat pipe is torque; a skinny pipe is power...where do you want the power?

3. DonTZ125

DonTZ125 Purveyor of Neat Toys

Side to side is easier to keep the pipe lengths even, as seen in the middle pic.. 'GP style' on a street bike often cheats with drastically different stinger lengths and IDs. The lower pipe in the top pic probably has an extra 10-12" of stinger; without very careful design and testing, you can run that cylinder *much* hotter.

jksoft likes this.
  4. DonTZ125

I disagree. The belly diameter is - or should be - a function of the equivalent exhaust port diameter. The length and taper of the diffuser and baffle are what shape the power curve.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. SpeedWerks Racing

SpeedWerks Racing Well-Known Member

Yup, Makes more power too, @5%.. exhaust gases don't like an arduous exit like the GP/RH exit.

6. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

i prefer the look of over under GP style, with a slight stagger, like the sugayas.

i have right side gp exit jolly moto's, the corsas were left and right exit. i wanted to get a set but never got around to it before they closed their doors.
    i'll eventually build something nice that exits on each side...

left and right side exit pipes seem to make the most lower as the belly diameters are largest around 120mm, while the right side over under pipes seem to have to give up a little bit there for them both to fit.

also the right side exit pipes sometimes you run into rear tire clearance.

but damn they look beautiful

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

Over and under looks better but a 5% loss of power compared to Gp

8. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Is this what you have in mind?
    download.jpeg
    I'd love to find a set of Sugayas but they are rare and the ones I have seen for sale are a fortune.

I have a set of Tygas, like the first pic. Things definitely get tight around the swingarm and rear wheel.

9. DonTZ125

"Things definitely get tight" - that's what the arched swingarm is all about.

10. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

I went with GP style for the RGV500. I like the look better. If it were that big of a deal, I suspect that the GP bikes would have gone to the standard setup for max power.

I thought the only distance that truly needed to be the same was the distance from the outlet port to the reflector cone. Beyond that, it is just gas routing plumbing.

I guess what it comes down to is what you like, since it is your nickel.

11. Kiwi

Kiwi Well-Known Member

You guys should Steve at speed werks in Dover DE, he was intergrale with the design of the Tyga exhaust system, he has probably built 100s of two stroke bikes and really knows his shit. He told me one pipe out each side was 4-5 hp better than both out one side and that the Tyga pipes are awesome..

12. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

Jolly Moto over-unders on my bike:

[​IMG]

compared to Arrows on my same bike:

[​IMG]

13. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

There are so many variables, it's going to be hard to know what to attribute performance gains to. I did find the dyno chart for the Tyga pipes on a RGV250. Same bike, same manufacturer. There doesn't appear to be, be much of a difference between them.

Side by side
    suz-10024e_1.jpg
    img_7295.jpg

Same side/GP style
    suz-10024e.jpg
    suz-10024a.jpg

Phl218 likes this.
  14. gpracer15

gpracer15 Built to Ride

i believe the GP style is same side and side by side style is one on each side of bike.....If not I ordered the wrong set up lol.
    I bought side by side Jolly Motos for my VJ23....waiting for their last run of pipes....

From Tyga's site for VJ22:

side by side (left and right exiting) stainless steel chambers, EXCS-0009
    GP (conventional twin right exiting) chambers, EXCS-0010

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  15. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. My first post was wrong. Whatever I was looking at originally had one of the photos mislabeled, which start the chain of confusion. My last post is correct though. Tyga calls the same side pipes, GP style, and side by side are on opposite sides of the bike. The VJ21 has fewer options. This probably has something to do with the straight (non-arched) swingarm.