1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excel question

Discussion in 'General' started by ACDNate, Feb 19, 2014.

1. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

I'm baffled at this point, someone here knows this better than i.

I have an Excel workbook saved in 97-03 .xls format. Multiple tabs. On each page I have categories and then data within each category. Each row has a colored background. The format has been established and I can't change it really.

What I have going on is on the newest tab the highlighting and some cell borders are present. As I scroll right on the page they extend indefinitely beyond the columns I'm actually using. Because of this I get the used columns compressed to a point I can't read them easily on an 11x17 sheet.

How do I get the extra columns to stop highlighting and adding borders beyond my needed columns?

2. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

Use the [clear] [clear all] in your tool bar at the top of the page. But this is not the best way because you have to select the rows and columns to [clear all].

3. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You could select all, clear all formats, then reformat it in the proper way. Alternatively, just select all, define every cell as having a border without applying changes, then unselect the border and apply changes.

4. ACDNate

Winner

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Even easier, you could just highlight the info you want printed and set a new print area that doesn't include the extra formatted cells.

6. ACDNate

Huh? Didn't know that would work. Thanks.