1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excel gurus - need some help

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Feb 7, 2014.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

anyone know how to make 1=25, 2=20, etc. for purposes of adding up series points in a single column by entering the rider's finishing position?

I'm trying to put something together to track race results without having to do the calculations manually.

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

TONS of ways to do this.

Easiest way is probably to create a table with one column stating finishing position (1-10 etc.) and right next to each number the points associated with that position. Use VLOOKUP to index the table you created.

If this is jibberish to you, I can send you a template if you PM me you email addy.

I work with excel all day.....

3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yep, Vlookup would be my preference. Put the table on a second sheet, reference it with =vlookup([cell_with_rider position], Sheet$TableTopLeft:$TableBottomRight, 2, False)

4. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm not as smart as these guys as far as doing it on another sheet, but, I do use lookup often. Just do something like this... =LOOKUP(A1,{1,2,3,4,5,6},{25,20,15,10,7,0}). Enter this formula in B1 and then copy/paste that line.
    Note: the "1-6" values in the first set of braces would get extended out as far as the points paying positions go and the corresponding point values with the finishing position goes inside the 2nd set of braces. The last number in the first set of braces would be the first non-points position. In this example, points only go to position 1-5. Anything higher than 5 would get 0 points.
    If you use this example, the finishing position would be in column A and the points would be in column B.

5. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

^ Yup, that would work as well.

Like I said, there are so many ways to do the same thing in excel it's almost comical. From straight-forward solutions to the most inane, Rube-Goldberg BS you've ever seen.

To me, excel spreadsheets are like fingerprints. Everyone's is different......

6. Phl218

Phl218 .

^^ what he said.

"look up" hlookup and vlookup on youtoobs.

pretty decent descriptions there, as soon as you manage that excel will become your powerful tool and you feel like the master.