1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EX500 ?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by sharky nrk, Jun 25, 2014.

1. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

what would you pay for this bike .....

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/4528674266.html

it is right down the road from me and I love my 250 track bike but sometimes think just a little bit more power would be nice. I have a F2 that I use for bigger tracks but it doesn't provide the grin factor the ninjette does.

What would be a good deal and from those that have ridden all the above does it even make sense to try and slot something between a 250 and F2? BTW I am cheap .... :D

2. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

a grand seems reasonable.

I wouldn't consider the tail an upgrade, but the rearsets and bodywork would cost you several hundred, and the bike itself is worth $600-800 IMHO.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yep what he said. Does it have a shock? I see the linkage but the shock would be my first move. I think it's reasonable and looks pretty clean for a EX

4. sharky nrk

I have seen well setup 500s going for 1200-1500 on here with the "normal" upgrades zx6 and f2 stuff, you think $1k is a good price?

5. sharky nrk

No shock, its stock suspension. Would not be planning on racing this bike competitively at the moment so would probably look at retro fitting a GSXR shock similar to what the ninjette has. Should be pretty much the same. Throw some springs and emulators in the front and go.

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

if it was titled, I would say "definitely." If you want to offer the guy $800 and tell him you think you can buy more bike (i.e. one with suspension) for $1000, see what he says...

I am probably a hypocrite when I say this, but people need to not take low offers so personally. It's a business transaction.

7. sharky nrk

ok know what do you think about the second part of the question, does a track prep 500 make any sense to have between 250 and a vintage 600

8. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yes, its a good bike for V6LW, V5 and Clubman. It's also a good bridge.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I haven't looked at grid sizes for the EX500 lately, but that is about the only downside I saw to racing one a few years ago. Unless you want a trophy for just showing up. One of the great things about the 250 (in the SE region) is no matter how fast you are there is always someone to race with.

10. sharky nrk

honestly I wouldn't use the bike for racing. I plan on racing the 250 for that exact reason, the 500 would be to replace the 250 as a cheap easy on gaseasy on tires trackday bike

11. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I am a believer that low-powered bikes are better for racing than track days, where a 50hp EX500 and a 160hp liter bike are potentially in the same group.

This is probably less of an issue in Advanced group than it was for me in Novice, when I owned a 500. I have not been the small bike in advanced. I have been the guy on a 600 in advanced at Nelson Ledge, exiting the carousel at close to 100mph, and wide-open, when the two bikes in front of me suddenly split a ninja 250 that is already at top-speed, and no longer accelerating in what is a major acceleration zone for everyone else... It was a little scary.

I wouldn't say "don't ride a 500 at a track day," but I would plan to register in Intermediate, and deal with re-passing guys who blow by you in the straights. /$.02

12. sharky nrk

that is kind of where I am now on the 250. I can get around most of the slower riders in the intermediate group but just don't have the powerto get around the outside on the guys that are faster. and the organization I ride with does not allow passing on the inside under braking in intermediate

13. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

As a current EX500 racer I can attest to their fun factor, about the best bang for the buck in motorcycle racing. I had a great battle with another EX at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and if I counted correctly there were at least 4 if not 5 EX500s racing that weekend.

EDIT: I just read your post about not racing the 500. I have run many track days on the EX and it really isn't fun when some squid on a literbike keeps blowing by you on the straights only to park in the corners and make it impossible to get a good lap in. Happens often in the intermediate group.

I would say yes as a race bike to the 500, but no as a track day only bike. The power is improved over the 250, but it isn't enough to make you a hero against the 600s, unless it is a very tight track. Sure it will make you a better rider, but you have to survive the guys sucking the paint off the tank as they go by on the straights.

14. sharky nrk

^^^ I guess given that information it may seem a better option to just put the money towards tires and ride the F2 at trackdays. I was kinda hoping the 500 would be a ninjette+ with just enough extra power to keep it manageable but it sounds like its not much better off then the 250 on most tracks.

15. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

I would use the F2 for trackdays and the 250/500 for racing. It's easy to go back ad forth. But riding both will make you faster. i've ridden them both back to back at the pointy edge of lap times. The 250 will teach you about momentum and corner speed and the 500 will help you with the huge jump in the sensation of speed.

16. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I have, it was fine. Wouldn't want to do it somewhere with blind hills and such but on a flat track faster bikes had no problem getting by.

EX500 is more like a (poorly setup) SV with a rag stuffed in the exhaust.

17. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

EX500's are kick ass bikes.

18. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I have one for sale...

19. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Great learning tools... I loved racing my EX500's

20. sharky nrk

I passed on it for the time being, maybe if its still around after a bit I will reconsider