1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EX500 vs SV650

Discussion in 'General' started by rk97, Oct 26, 2014.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Assuming the EX is set up well, but still legal for all the usual EX classes, how far off would it be per lap? (Or maybe per mile, as the gap would likely be greater on larger tracks)

I am just bench-racing in my head at the moment, but the idea would be to race one of these two bikes eventually. It seems expenses would be relatively equal between them, so the decision would come down to the price of the bike, and number of people to race against in local rounds. That said, buying a cheap EX and racing in LWT would be a fun challenge if it's truly possible to keep up.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way off. Unless you build an EX hand grenade.

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't try to build an EX motor. It's already the LTD 454 block bored out to 498(ish). The cylinder walls are too thin.

4. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

First gem SV sounds like a better option though.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

Get yourself a bone stock 1st gen SV and try keeping up with the fast guys on 2nd gens. You can play around with the HWT bikes too, which would be suicide on an EX.

6. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

I had the EX with everything. The Engine Dynamics kit made for a very reliable killer motor in Clubman, V5, even V6LW. Where do you get your engine build up info? This motor was good for 2 years and I raced it pretty much 4 events most every SE round. But still, even modest research will tell you that it is not an SV. I think 20hp is relevant.

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I have no reason to doubt your statements on the EX build. I admit I am speaking with a complete lack of experience when it comes to actually attempting a motor build.

That said, I can't imagine a built EX costing less than a stock SV. I am certain I can race prep a first gen SV for around $2,000

A race-prepped EX would likely be half that, but not one with engine work.

8. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Correct, the build plus swing arm, forks, shock, wheels does make it expensive. Just a matter of being one of the SV pack or a winner in classes the EX can run. I have an SV now so that I have something for AHRMA as well as WERA. Miss the winning part? Sure but my perspective now is that I am simply happy to be on the track and riding OK.
    All depends on what you wanna do. I will say my 600 EX was a sweet race bike, best I have ever ran.

9. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

An EX is how you spend 4 or 5 grand building a racebike that is worth maybe 1000 bucks.

10. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I can vouch for this.

11. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

You probably qualify for 2 to 3 votes...

12. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

:crackup:

13. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

That's what Vintage is all about! Sold my EX for a grand but it was a bit 2nd hand. Good thing was Jason gave me a hell of a deal on it so I was ahead in my book!
    About time you had a front runner. You have paid your dues many times over. Congrats again on the National Championship!:bow::beer::up:

14. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I ran LWTSB, F2, CLUBMAN, V5, V6LW, DSB when I raced my EX500 as a novice. I won all kinds of races, it was a blast. The bike was $1200.
    That being said, the SV is a much better platform.

15. The Villain

The Villain Evil Registered user

Did you think I wasn't going to find you here, RK? Spouting all that pseudo-wisdom they teach on the EX boards? My nose is finely attuned to that variety of horseshit. (;

As you can see from the commentary of real racers here, of course you can overbore the EX. The question remains: should you? Probably not if you're just trying to build the most budget friendly race bike you can get away with.

EX vs. SV...where I fall on the matter depends on 1) whether you race in a region where there are other EXs or similarly competitive bikes to race against, and 2) what kind of deal you can get on a bike.

I bought a 95% complete EX with all the race bits for $800 when residing in Georgia. If I'd stayed there, I might have put more money into it and kept racing. But out in California there's nobody to race but SVs -- which, as has been noted, is impossible on the EX. So I got an SV.

And speaking of which (threadjack alert)...TUNA, so did you! What the devil are you doing back on a lightweight twin? And can you teach me how to ride mine faster?

16. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I raced a $900 EX for a few years at Willow. My best lap time was 1:36.5 or so and it probably put out 45HP or so. I sold it for $600 3 years later. Then I picked up an 80HP SBK build SV and got it down to 1:29.1 at my best. So at a HP track like big willow, 6-7 seconds difference with me at the helm.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

The SV seems like a cheaper long-term option. Then I start finding cheap V7 bikes... Makes the decision harder.

18. The Villain

The Villain Evil Registered user

That's fast on an EX.

19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Normal time was 1:38. Aren't 250's running right at 1:40-1:41? Maybe I've gotten faster in my memories... Haha.

20. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

What's a good SV time at Willow?