1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enough, let's see the books!

Discussion in 'General' started by CRRC93, May 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nope.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  2. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Lol well sorry people have become so soft cause back in 90s a whole bunch of guys and girls rode big heavy bikes for hours in endurance races.
    Try riding a 92 GXSR 750 in an 8 hour endurance race. Lol
    Did it all the time.

Steven

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pussy. I watched other people (cuz I'm a pussy too) ride 1100's in an 8 hour - at Talladega :crackup:

Knotcher, VFR#52 and John Branch like this.
  4. John Branch

John Branch 90125

So there is one reason and only one. The grids are shrinking because the dollar has been shrinking! Inflation is the problem. The dollar doesn’t go near as far as it did 25 years ago. So you can get into racing for about 3500$ to 4000? Of course used second hand stuff you can find that is still good . I got into racing in 1990 for 2400$ 1989 gsxr750 salvage bike and gear for 1000$ . You can do it for a little more now? The kicker is getting there. Used to be able to travel,eat,entries, depending on if you needed tires or a tire?500 to 1000 depending on staying in Texas or going a 1000 + miles or if it was a regular weekend or national? Remind you this is me only. If I bring people to help the tab rises quickly? Beer$$ I go race here in Texas I spend no less than 1000$ ! I have not gone racing Motorcycles outside of Texas in years. That being said I bet it would be 1500 easy? Idk that would be local or wera not Moto American! I can only imagine what it would cost to run a weekend with them? I have a idea but I’m probably low.$

5. John Branch

John Branch 90125

I did half that wet miserable 8 hour on a bent 750 in 1995 with Ohio superbike! Don’t know if that was the one you speak of?

VFR#52 likes this.
  6. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Bahhhahahha. I think you where working the race sir.
    I was usually in the race.
    I stopped doing BBE after all the egos refushed to show up and help the team setup and tear down and after they crashed team bike disappeared.
    So went Vintage racing as its cheap.
    But when riding with other riders who know how to act like a team is awesome.
    Even won a few National endurance races.
    Vintage bikes are the cheapest to racing in. Cmra and Wera.
    Wera vintage cost less than Classic and 40LW over the season.
    Even with travel and other expenses.

Steven

7. John Branch

John Branch 90125

Well if it wasn’t for people like him! Then WE WOULD HAVE NEVER HAD A PLACE TO RACE! SO TO ALL THAT MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR US TO RACE IN THE PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE! Thank you for making racing possible! Especially The president of WERA and Sean and all there STAFF:flag: For there sacrifice of there fun for others to have fun is pretty awesome! And for people like you that make there thank less job even more stressful :moon:

panthercity and VFR#52 like this.
  8. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Lol
    Lots of good times

Steven

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: John is nuts but yeah, Evelyne does rock.

VFR#52 likes this.
  10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

IMNSHO, track days are a feeding line for racers-to-be. It is in the club's best interest to support them.

Gorilla George, CMRA 270 and drop like this.
  11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

First two years I raced (1972~1973), I rode to the track. And, if it didn't all go pear shaped I rode home. When I first ran my `77 GS750, I traveled in a Datsun King Kab. Going to college and working two jobs. Probably spent less than $100 are race until I started racing the 750.

CMRA 270, backbone and VFR#52 like this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The dollar isn't the issue as much as things like tire lifespan - even costing more they'd be fine if they'd last multiple weekends like they used to. Then there are the things people consider necessities that aren't - new bike, tire warmers, all sorts of tools, race fuel, enclosed trailer, brand new truck for the trailer, hotel rooms, eating out instead of cooking at the track, and on and on and on.

CMRA 270, Gino230, joec and 3 others like this.
  13. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Man had to have priorities.
    If they only knew what i spent to vintage race class would be packed.
    Bikes are cheap to but as of now.
    And classic grids are light also

Steven

14. Steve H

Steve H Well-Known Member

Couldn’t agree more.

Most riders don’t really need half of the stuff they have these days...

And it’s the team thing which makes racing special - not expensive hotels and meals...

drop likes this.
  15. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Best part about the travel racing is showing up in a van, cooking, hanging out, and staying/sleeping at the track. Sometimes the best time is when the track is cold and the general camaraderie in the paddock up until wee hours of the nifht/morning. And typically that's FREE

16. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Back in the day we did all show up in trucks and vans and camp out.
    Not a generator in site.
    All good times and didnt matter if it was cold or hot or even raining we raced of officials let us.
    I do love the guy who said that people cant ride a big bike an hour.
    Bahhahahahahaha.
    My advice to anyone who falls into that category needs to find a new hobby.

Steven

panthercity likes this.
  17. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Oh and i do want to point out that it was John Branch that got me into Road Racing.
    We piled into my old ratty Chevy truck with no AC and bikes worth more than truck and went to Oak hill in 1990
    John used to bum the floor of hotel cause we where that poor.
    Lol.
    And it was Johns ideal to do our 1st race and Saturday it was beautiful and 75.
    Sundy at 3 am we woke to thunderstorms and 45 degree weather.
    I was well lets go home and john goes hell im racing. Lol
    So not wanting to look like a pussy i signed up and raced.
    Did really well for a guy who never road a street bike in the rain.
    And that started this 28 yr addiction.
    Thanks john.

Steven

18. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Yep, I enjoyed racing in the rain. Slowed most of `em down to my speed...

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I really think that is the biggest problem. When I kart raced I could get multiple race weekends out of a set of tires and still win first place.

When I raced a 600, it was one set a weekend for multiple races and I could even win some of them.

With my kid on a 600 multiple sets per weekend.

noles19 likes this.
  20. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

While I see your point, let me remind you that a current “big bike” has approx 80–100 more hp than the “back in the day Big bikes”

I’ve been lucky enough to ride past and present superbikes and can say without a doubt, it’s very difficult to wrestle a modern literbike for an hour especially when the rear is gone after 30 minutes.

Can you give us any firsthand experience riding a modern literbike in endurance conditions?

Gorilla George likes this.