1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enginerd to the courtesy phone

Discussion in 'General' started by tiggen, Jan 15, 2021.

1. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

I am building a workbench based on the Steevo bench on garagejournal for those familiar. He used leveling feet and sq tube inserts from JW Winco. I plan on doing the same.

On the JW Winco site, it says that the insert I'm interested in has a static load (for 3/8-16 thread) of 1349 lbf.

Why is the unit lbf? Or, asked another way, why isn't the unit just lb? This has totally befuddled me.

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Could it be pounds per individual foot?

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Pound force. Lbs multiplied by the acceleration due t gravity...1lb ~32 lbf

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That seems like totally useless information for a static table.

Rebel635, tiggen and ChemGuy like this.
  5. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

Its relevant because the amount of threads bearing weight will be the limiter

OGs750 likes this.
  6. tiggen

Lol, agreed, but they're just making the parts. It's up to the purchaser to choose how to use them.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Unless the threaded leg is only partially in the nut, that number is a constant.

8. racerx43

racerx43 Well-Known Member

True - my point was the nut length is a portion of a foot in the number provided.

9. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Reducing exposure to liability ...

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Wut? It's absolutely critical information. The insert can only take so much force before it fails. I'm not sure what the table being static has to do with anything. The problem is with the imperial measurement system that differentiates between lbm and lbf. It's stupid and I hate it, but that doesn't make it less relevant.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I don't have anything that isn't on casters. This must be a heavy duty bench

12. tiggen

13. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

The bench is more overbuilt than the adjuster inserts. Anything like this that I have done has just been a nut ground down to fit in the inside of the tubing and welded in place with a bolt used as the adjuster. Are you using the premanufactured adjusters for appearance or for the rubber feet that will not mark the floor?

OldSchlPunk and G Dawg like this.
  14. tiggen

Might just go the route you describe. While they would look finished, they def add expense. Either way, gonna have to wait until I get steel. The yard I've been to in the past had no 2x2 sq tube less than 3/16 wall. I was thinking 14 ga.

15. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

No. 1 lbf = 1lb.

tophyr likes this.
  16. SVandST

SVandST Well-Known Member

Let me explain further. lbf and lb are interchangeable, but lbf and lbm are not. lbf is the proper designation for a unit of force versus lbm which is a unit of mass. On earth 1 lbm will have a weight of 1 lbf. On the moon 1 lbm will weigh 0.166 lbf due to the pull of gravity being less.

tophyr likes this.
  17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just tell me how many hashtags each insert will hold.

18. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Leave it to engineers to over complicate welding a nut on a piece of plate and capping a tube.....:Poke:o_O

R Acree and Banditracer like this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: :crackup:

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I just like that method as it allows a bigger adjuster that is less likely to stop working. Especially if you antiseize the adjuster bolt. A 3/4" nut will fit inside of 2" square tubing with a 3/16 wall thickness with a bit of grinding.