1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine stand

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I have a spare race motor that I've been toting around in a plastic bin, I would really love to have a proper stand- maybe even one with wheels on it so I could roll it in and out of the trailer.

Do I have to build one myself? Can't seem to find commercially available ones.

Even a basic one I could put on a furniture dolly and that would be better than the bin.

FZ-07 engine.

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

3. wsmc42

wsmc42 Well-Known Member

Only ones I saw back when I was still racing were ones the Graves team made. Maybe one of the teams can sell you one? Or get a welder to jig one up. I used to set a spare engine in a couple old tires when transporting it somewhere. Usually a rear and a front iirc.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Takeoffs are useful to keep spare engines off the garage floor (or so I've heard).

It's pretty easy to build a dolly out of 2x4s with some casters if you'd prefer it to be a bit more mobile.

Sudowoodo likes this.
  5. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Hand-truck with extended blade and tiebacks to the upright...you are now mobile.

6. 83BSA

83BSA Well-Known Member

Some 2x2 or 2x3 angles, a welder, some threaded rod, cut some spacers on the lathe . . . . You're good to go. It won't roll arouynd in the trailer. Use a hand truck or a small dolly to roll it. BSA singles or twins, SV650, Yamaha singles, Honda singles . . . . I have a lot of engine stands . . . .

Cheers,

Dave

Gino230 likes this.
  7. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

DIY 1 1/2" angle iron, measure, cut, fit, weld and drill.

F3racer1 likes this.
  8. lightning97

lightning97 Well-Known Member

9. jimmyboost

jimmyboost one buck a boom

Gino, Robem makes them for SV650's. Have you thought about asking Matt if he would make one for you?

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Make sure it’s dual purpose, so it can be an engine sit if you’re lazy/drunk/want to surf the beeb.

Sudowoodo and Gino230 like this.
  12. Gino230

I've used the tire method, AP MotoArts made engine stands at one time, but I don't know what Andy's been up to in the last few years. I'm not a welder, so I'm thinking a modified furniture dolly is going to be the ticket for now.

13. Gino230

That's a good lead, as Matt also build FZ motors in the past and may have one....

14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

For an immediate need, I stuck four "T"'s together, out of 1" square tubing.
    I measured the approximate length needed to make the motor (more or less) upright and stable when using the motor mount holes...
    After sizing the long length of the "T" for length, I drilled them to use the engine mount bolts.
    If you desire it to be more stable, lengthen the top of the T's. Asymmetrical can facilitate storage (or) stability.
    You can ratchet strap to a hand truck, or to the floor of the trailer. Bonus; it makes it a breeze to work on top end items !

15. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

@Gino230 you can always ask Mike at KWS Motorsports.
    He has a few that he built for his personal work needs... maybe he could built you one for your needs.

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

17. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Gino230 likes this.
  18. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

K&L makes a nice engine stand

CLM81 likes this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Parts Unlimited has them, part #0950-0004, retail is $370. There's some in stock.

20. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I make them. What engine?