1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine keeps reving when throttle shut

Discussion in 'Tech' started by stickman, Aug 27, 2008.

1. stickman

stickman crash free since 5/6/07

I have a friend who has a 1986 Yamaha Radian. When she shuts the throttle off, the engine sometimes keeps the rpm's up, or increases the rpm's.

I checked the throttle cable, and it's not binding. The throttle snaps shut like it's supposed to, doesn't seem like the springs are bad. I'm thinking it's a carb problem of some sort.

Also, maybe un-related, or not, sometimes when she pulls the clutch in, it stays in gear. On her way to work this morning, she's at a stop light, the bikes rpms stayed at about 4000, and it wouldn't go into neutral, she had to apply the brakes to stay stopped. Very weird, and scary for her.

Any suggestions on either matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

a radian is a pretty old piece...prolly got an air leak at the intake boots.

cable need adjusting/replacing?

3. stickman

Thanks. I did notice the boots were cracking. Would too much air getting sucked in cause it to keep revving?

I rode behind her, and I could smell gas coming from the bike, could it be a jet is defective and putting in too much gas?

I think the cable is fine, I adjusted it to take give it a little slack, but otherwise seems ok.

4. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Try spraying carb cleaner around boots when engine is running to see if cracks are causing a leak. Caps for synchronizer spigots can dry rot and leak, too.

Exhaust valves too tight can also cause a high idle when engine is hot, but will idle ok cold. Reduces intake vacuum which confuses cv carbs.

Clutch dragging is odd. Clutch throwout is rack and pinion like suzuki, so nothing to adjust there. New aftermarket clutch lever that is close but no cigar?

5. cyclenut

cyclenut Well-Known Member

Radians are famous for carb diaphragms deteriorating and then leaking. I had one that had both go bad. Maybe check those. I think there's some websites about Radians and diaphragms.

good luck

6. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Carb's out of sync will cause high idle as well..

7. stickman

Thanks guys, I'll check these things out.

8. Edorn

Edorn Trouble...

Check the choke cable and assembly as well.