1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine braking adjustment on zx6?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Za-Ham, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

I've got a 2016 zx6 with a woolich ecu flash and I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the engine braking with the software. Mainly I just want to make 1st gear useable to the point where I don't go over the handlebars when I downshift.

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Im not sure on the woolich software, but what I have done, and some actual fast guys here have done is raise the idle a bunch.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I'd check WoolichRacing's Youtube channel for a How-To video on adjusting engine braking. Maybe before that, just check their website to see if that's a "feature" that's possible with that bike & flash.

Also, clutch/slipper setup is really important for that feeling too.

R/T Performance and racepro171 like this.
  4. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

No throttle by wire, no real way to control EB with the ECU. Bump up the idle, get better with the left lever and work on the slipper setup.

R/T Performance likes this.
  5. tdelegram

tdelegram Well-Known Member

Buy an r1

6. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

find a close ratio tranny, was there not one in some year?

7. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

You can bump up the idle and remove the secondary throttle plates. That helps a little. I would suggest getting a Suter clutch and look at gearing options that keep you out of 1st gear whenever possible.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

@Za-Ham that last guy was involved when Ritchie Escalante won the 600 championship, with the ZX-6, in MotoAmerica, in case you didn’t know.

9. Za-Ham

Za-Ham Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I really like the engine braking in all the other gears. Currently have a 09-12 clutch installed. I tried a suter clutch and didnt like how much less engine braking it made the bike have. I’ll try feathering the clutch a little more and maybe bump the idle up a small amount.

10. kruizen

kruizen Well-Known Member

with the 9-12 clutch tonight you could remove the 3 prong springs in the clutch to reduce engine braking

Attached Files: