1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

End of the road for the United Kingdom?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by SGVRider, Sep 18, 2014.

1. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Won't happen in the US but I'm not so sure about Canada. Quebec still has those idiots that want to create an independent mini france there.

What kind of idiot wants to create a semi land locked country? Oh wait, french speaking idiots!

3. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

So, all we have to do is vote on it?

4. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

The currency part will be interesting.

cant wait to see some scottish greenbacks!

5. June-yer

June-yer Well-Known Member

If only Billy Wallace were here.

6. Sheik Abdul ben Falafel

Sheik Abdul ben Falafel Well-Known Member

He would be all over the place on this one.

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is going to be a rather interesting situation. We've been hearing the pros and cons for the past two weeks with all the doom and gloom predictions then all the positive stories about how glorious it will be. I can also understand how some of the people long to be an independent country that does not have to answer to any higher authority so it's going to be interesting. It will sure be a complicated separation in any case.

8. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

:stupid:

9. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like the separation failed. Damn, I wanted to see if it would work in today's political climate. I can however, see where most people had rather stay with the status quo instead of gambling on an uncertain future. As Cameron said a couple of days ago; "remember, if you vote for this you can never go back."

10. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

I'll never watch Braveheart again.

11. Howlie2

Howlie2 In middle-dodging traffic

Their currency already looks different even though it has the same names and essentially the same value...it was an issue with some places in England...especially when trying to use it further south.

Looks like nothing is going to change anyway. Beautiful countryside.

12. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

I was fully supportive until I learned that it would impact Scotch exports...NFW!

:)

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

That whole thing was a nonstarter. It only looked close before the vote because a lot of people against independence were afraid to speak up.

14. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Interestingly enough (and this is long run view), a separating (and an actual land locked - for those handy with geography) Alberta might be what really maims Canada...

Time will tell.

15. ton

ton Arf!

possible.

but i wonder if the UK will be the same again... when it looked close, the British politicians trying to keep it together made a lot of promises for change that they'll have to also keep with Wales, NI, etc.

16. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

This was a first attempt.

Depending on upcoming political conditions, there will be others.

17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You're probably right. It'll be interesting to see if the UK finally develops a true federal structure. I suspect they will as it would placate most people.

Think they'll try it again? The Québécois I think only tried once, failed, then surrendered.

Is Alberta mumbling about secession? I don't see how any Canadian province other than Ontario could make a go at independence, the rest are too underpopulated to make viable countries.

I'm glad the Scots did the sensible thing, but on the other hand it'd have been fun to watch.

18. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Exactly.
    I doubt it will stop with Scotland.

19. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Years ago, when the Fake French were yapping on about an independent Quebec, I remember reading some studies of what the rest of Canada would want to do.

The majority of the Atlantic Providences said they'd want to join the US.

Not a bad deal, get rid of the snail eaters and in exchange get free obama phones and EBT cards.

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

It's currently a small movement in Alberta but the province is beyond right leaning when compared to the rest of the country, they're closer to a US Red state in their political landscape.

The province is growing thanks of the oil sands and the govt books look good. There is an usual Us vs. Them pervasive mentality, Them being eastern Canada where the majority pretty much had political control of the federal govt. Hence a lot of disaffection.

Put in the 'right' guy leading Alberta and the 'wrong' guy leading Canada and observe... It usually doesn't take much more.

Ontario is Canada (or considers it self as such), it is currently struggling and ain't going anywhere.... :D