1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical question. Double pole breaker.

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

There are other brands making them now, but Polaris is the original and what I used to keep in stock. For contractors and industrial facilities, while they're pricey, the labor saving and reliability make up for it. I switched to Hilti strut for the same reason, you pay more upfront, but more than make up for it on the other side.

2. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

Thanks good info, I'm looking to build a bigger shop come spring and am planning on installing 10-15 240vac circuits using 8awg copper that I already have, I'm assuming I'd need 3-4 per box? L1, L2, N, G

3. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"What's in the box! Tell me what's in box!"

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Wow! It's definitely NSFW. You might wanna leave early to take a peek at that "hotbox". ;)

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Probably cheaper to buy a fresh roll or two of #8 and not have a splice point to potentially fail.

Taps are a fuck ton less likely to fail than a wirenut connection, but I have seen them burn up before.

And like @Montoya said, when you’re dealing with things that make you money or could burn your house down, it’s a cheap insurance policy.

beac83 likes this.
  6. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have about 5000' of the wire so I could run 1 outlet per breaker but I'm going to fill out the service entrance panel pretty quick with breakers plus fill the conduit(s) up. I thought I'd put 2-3 outlets per breaker as not all are going to be used, they are more of a location convenience so I don't have extension cords on the floor

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What’s the amperage on these circuits?

8. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

wire is 5kv rated

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oof! That’s gonna be some nasty shit to work with, insulation must be twice as thick as the conductor!

10. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

.11" insulation thickness, .375" cable OD