1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electrical question. Double pole breaker.

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Jan 7, 2020.

1. G 97

G 97 Garth

So why does everything continue to work. The only thing that doesn’t is the burners don’t get red hot as if they only have 120 going to them. You don’t have to be a dick about it. Asshole. Oops I meant asshole. :D

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yeah, this is why I’m asking now. Who said I’ve used it otherwise? I’m just asking for advice. Doofus.

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Blow me. Ya kweer. :moon:

The reason some things work and others don’t is that you have both 120v and 240v loads in the cooktop, and the 120v loads are backfeeding through neutral to give you half power to the 240v circuits.

Disconnect the cooktop, ensure you have 120v from each phase to neutral and 240v potential between them. Then you’ve isolated the problem to the cooktop, and Best Buy is open til 10. :moon:

G 97 and joec like this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

And what if it isn’t isolated to the cooktop? And everything works with the exception of the burners getting red hot. They got hot eventually. So what’s the cause of them only receiving 120v?

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Then you’re in luck and the spark in the cooktop was just St. Elmo’s Fire, and the gremlins took mercy on you and restored your cooktop to perfect working order and fuxored your dilithum crystal transmogrified beta cuck doohickey.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Stop editing shit ya fuckbag!

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You’ve lost a phase. 99.9% of the time it’s in the appliance. Which is why you start with disconnecting the appliance and verifying proper voltage and phasing at the connection point.

beac83 likes this.
  8. G 97

G 97 Garth

Ok and the connection point is the breaker. Thanks dude.

9. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh and bite me. :D
    381B00AE-561F-4705-8CC6-DDC2B81215D0.jpeg

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Sorry. I had to dumb it down for you. :D

Boman Forklift likes this.
  11. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Don’t blame him. He’s only doing his beeb job.

G 97 and YamahaRick like this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Oh and one last item. At least I know how to properly use this though T-1 at Brainerd. :moon:
    77FC6167-FAEC-4D34-9E9B-0B1E1949D973.jpeg

Phl218 and speedluvn like this.
  13. joec

joec brace yourself

That thing is so dusty it looks like you keep it in the soybean field.

badmoon692008, G 97 and K51000 like this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dude, seriously?

The cooktop is not wired directly to the breaker. There’s a junction in the cabinet under the cooktop that you need to disconnect and isolate your premise wiring from the cooktop to determine which side is affected.

G 97 likes this.
  15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What are you gonna do with that? Summon the gremlins to come fix your cooktop? :Poke: :Poke:

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I can see that. Kill switch off is definitely the fast way through T1. :Poke:

G 97 likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

If you burn your house down and die in the fire, I'll make sure your wife has a place to stay :D

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

Like pickled egg says, the cooktop where you saw the arcing is likely fried.
    you could have lost a neutral, you could have lost a phase, or you may have partially fried wiring (the most likely to cause a fire and the most likely to have happened) in the cooktop.

There is a terminal strip where the house wiring connects to the cooktop. Disconnect the house wiring and test there. If the house wiring is not melted, burned, or otherwise destroyed, and you have 120 hot to neutral on both phases, and 240 phase to phase, then the problem is likely the cooktop. And for good measure, replace the breaker. It's worth the $20 for peace of mind.

Boman Forklift and G 97 like this.
  19. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Lol.. that looks like 5 years worth of Dust :D

20. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Gas stoves- mucho better

And even little ol me has a multimeter.

Good luck Garth

R Acree and G 97 like this.