1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eating on the road

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Jul 22, 2018.

1. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

So, I travel a ton for work. I spend several weeks a month in hotels and I get really tired of eating at restaurants. Anyone else get tired of eating out all the time? What do you do to shake it up? I am thinking of buying a small grill to keep with me.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Depending on the type of motel I'd say camp stove setup and a hibachi type grill would work. I've made full meals on a two burner coleman stove with no problem. Since you're driving all the time it's even easier to take the gear with you.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

First time I realized it was bad was when the waitress at the TGI Friday at the Radisson in Buffalo knew our names.

Phl218 likes this.
  4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's too funny - I had a TGIF bartender recognize me after 8 months after being in the place only once before.

5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Can you stay in whatever hotel you want? Go to the ones that have kitchenettes and cook your own food.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  6. backcountryme

I usually stay at Best Westerns, mostly because I get points. I am really leaning toward the grill.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You can get points at any of the chains.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm weird, I look forward to being out and usually know place at or near the hotel I'm staying that I like. I do try and eat "safe" so I don't get sick. There are times where I've gotten sick of the same things for days at a time and that's when it's time for something like Moes or Baja Fresh. I do try and avoid burgers and shit like that.

9. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

Do you fly and then rent a car or or drive from home? I spend a lot of time on the road and usually make it home daily but if the turds hit the fan I could be stuck out for 3-4 days with only drive-thrus or pizza.
    I meal prep a bunch of healthy options and always leave the house with a good 4 days of food in a Yeti. It takes a little time one or 2 days a week but it’s so much better for you than anything on the road and it’s significantly cheaper too.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Speaking of Yeti, I love the bangkok basket f@ck outta mine but it's a total pain to haul around. Which one you have and how do you get it from here to there?

I'm thinking of buying one of those coaches carts from amazon.scam for it.

11. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I have a 75 that lives in the back of my truck under the bed cover. It’s not too bad to move with just food and ice but it’s all one person wants when it’s full of beer and whatnot for a trip to the beach.

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I love eating out on the road. But I never go to chain restaurants. The best are diners in small towns. If it's a big town I'll go for something ethnic. NYC is one of my favorites. Little Italy, Chinatown, Harlem...great little food joints. Last time I was in Little Italy I ate lunch at a sidewalk cafe...killer Italian and a glass of wine was $20. Same as I'd pay in Louisville.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. :stupid:

It is possible to eat fast food, and still eat decent. Just about everyone, even McDonalds, will have some sort of grilled chicken, salad, etc.

ToofPic likes this.
  14. backcountryme

Well I went to Canadian Tire and bought a $60 propane grill, then bought some steaks and a pasta side dish. Cheap, simple, and so much better then a restaurant.

15. backcountryme

Drive from home. It is hard to fly when I need samples of our fuel with me. It is not uncommon for me to do 2 to 3 weeks out of the month on the road. I have my grill now, so I will just grocery shop for a day or two at a time now.

16. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

17. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

A small crock pot carries well.You can buy liners to eliminate the mess.I used it in my truck when I drove otr.
    Anything from soups,to stews,rice,beans,I loved it,and hit the spot after a long day of driving.

Ducti89 and Kyle Brosius like this.
  18. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Yelp and Travel Advisor are your friends. Load the apps on your phone so you can find decent places to eat.

Otherwise, my default places are Chipotle and Chick Fil A, the latter for good salads or breakfast meals.

I was in suburban Chicago a few weeks ago, in the middle of suburban hell. Found a local joint called Al's Pizza that has been around since 1959. The pie was awesome. Went three times in the week I was there.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

The salad bar, prepared food section @ Whole Foods has become my new best friend. There’s a Whole Foods in damn near every major city and they all rotate around the things they serve. So I’ll just get whatever I’m in the mood for. Pull out your phone, open Google Maps or whatever app and just search for the closest one.

Sometimes I’ll just grab some salad greens and veggies then eat it with a can of this:
    https://safecatch.com/buy-safe-catch-tuna/wild-skipjack/
    It’s pretty much the best tuna fish I’ve found on the market.

I spent all of last week down in Austin and I’m sitting in the airport waiting to head back for another week right now...I’m sure I’ll be making several W.F. runs in between business dinners. The one that I found next to my hotel is a pretty awesome one to boot.....didn't even know it was solar powered from the parking lot, lol.

[​IMG]

....I don't know why people so often think they are "stuck with only fast food available". You are far from being stuck, all you have to do is make a conscious choice to go to the place across the street that doesn't have the burger and fries or pizza that your are subconsciously craving and making excuses for eating. :D

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    Phl218 likes this.
  20. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Dining advice from the Velvetta Kid.