1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ear Protection

Discussion in 'General' started by ScottyRock155, Oct 9, 2019.

1. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Any recommendations on high quality custom fit ear plugs?

I'm looking to get a set to wear under my helmet while racing. I have tried some cheap versions before and I never end up wearing them because I hate the way they fit. I've decided I'm willing to pay more to get a nice custom fitted set made but I don't know where to go.

ajcjr likes this.
  2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Talk to your dr and ask for the name of an ear doctor that you can see for this.

3. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

www.plugup.com

This is what I have used for a L O N G time. They send you 2-part epoxy to make molds of your ears so that the plugs are truly a custom fit. You can have just plain earplugs, or an assortment of speakers, intercoms, etc. installed and they work great.

DO NOT pull on the wires when removing the earplugs. It can get expensive if you do it wrong.

4. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I've had really good luck with Alpine MotoSafe ear plugs. I believe they are a European company and getting them over here can be challenging. This is the specific product I am talking about: https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/motosafe/. I'm sure there are other/better options out that people will chime in with, but I have had really good luck with these. Riding twins on the track or commuting (RC51 and Hypermotard, both with exhaust systems) left my ears in bad shape before I started using them.

5. Chango

Chango Something clever!

I've never had any gripes with the cheap Howard Leight Max uncorded foam earplugs. They're cheap as hell (200 pairs for $22 on Amazon) but get the job done.

sdiver, ineedanap, ducnut and 4 others like this.
  6. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

:stupid:

I have tried them all including custom and the Alpines mentioned above, hated all of them.

Went back to using the Howard Leight LL-1 I have been using for 20 years. I can ride for 12+ hours with no discomfort and the NRR of 32 can't be beat.

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Tried several over the years. Circled all the way back to foam. You need Marquez to lick em for you first or something?

[​IMG]

8. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Big Ear or Fit Ear. One of them makes the rounds to the Progressive IMS. I've had a set for 5-6 years before someone stole them. Second set it great.

There is a trick with getting a really good seal when they are being molded. Think you have to keep your jaw open or something, and that's supposed to open your ear ways more than when you are relaxed.

Also make sure you get plenty of meat on them. Second pair has minimal extra material, and they aren't as easy to get in and out as the old pair.

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Any hearing aid place in town can make them as well. The radian do it yourself plugs have worked well for me too.

10. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

I got a set of Deci-Bullz a few seasons ago and love them... Pop right in and are perfect every time, no worrying about them falling out or having to reposition them on last call. I had to replace the foam tips once so far but they're pretty cheap for a large pack and they've been otherwise great.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

I use basically anything with a NRR of 30+

Rite Aid brand worked awesome and cheap, just have to make sure that I roll it enough.

Sent from my smatrfone

12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It's surprising people still won't ride on track with ear pro. I bet there are even a few here.

rcarson15, Knotcher and ducnut like this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve bought about everything offered, between Walmart and Walgreens. I have a variety in the shop, in my catch basket with my wallet and stuff, beside my bed, and in my vehicle. I use softer ones for riding motorcycles and bicycles, sleeping, and longer usage. And, I use firmer ones for mowing, grinding, etc.

I have tinnitus, so earplugs are an essential part of my life. Stuff that doesn’t bother most people, like wind, crowded waiting rooms and restaurants, vehicle interior resonance, and so forth really bothers me. Take care of your hearing.

14. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Would you care for two out of three?

15. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I once went out for the warmup lap without plugs. Realized it going down hotpit. I pulled in before grid and skipped that race. I couldn't imagine racing without them. Guaranteed hearing damage.

turbulence, badmoon692008 and ducnut like this.
  16. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Been down this road before with custom fit deals. Here is something you NEED to be aware of when making your molds or getting them made...you need to be IN THE POSITION you will be in while riding. Your ears flex while your head is moving...so if you mold them while your head is upright position while sitting in a chair...they will not fit you when you are tucked and lifting your head up...this creates pressure points and are uncomfortable as hell. I'd even go as far as putting on your helmet...

Don't have any of these issues with using my favorite type of foamies...they come in all sorts of different firmness and sizes...only you will be able to tell what works for you in the end...it's your ear.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I just received a 5 pack of these from Amazon the 0ther day for $20. That's 70 pairs...enough for over a year. I use them when playing drums too. I humbly believe they're the best foamies in the business.

[​IMG]

ducnut and GarrettRick like this.
  18. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

One of my buddies I race with refuses to wear them because he "can't hear the engine" o_O

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

like several?

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Be interesting when he "can't hear the engine"

ducnut likes this.