1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ear plugs?

Discussion in 'General' started by brian, Jan 24, 2001.

1. brian

brian Well-Known Member

whats everyones opinion on ear plugs? i've worn them from the begining and can not stand not having them in. all the noise drives me crazy!!

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I never had ear plugs for two reasons:
    1. When I raced, I rode on the street too. Ear plugs(and headphones) are illegal to wear on the street in my state.
    2. If something started to go wrong with my bike, I wanted to have as much warning about it as possible, with ear plugs I might not hear it.

3. HNIC 102

HNIC 102 Well-Known Member

earplugs maake me feel I'm all along until someone passes by me. I hope not this year

4. thiam1

thiam1 Guest

I bring them every time. I forget to put them in every time.

5. brian

brian Well-Known Member

it makes me more alert of my bike. i had a rod going out and i could hear in plenty of time to shut it down. i also feel it puts me more in tume to my bike and not the guys beside me. if i don't wear them i get a headache.

6. Hammer-117

Hammer-117 Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only damb-ass that did this!!

7. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

My ears actually hurt if I do not wear them. I have ridden with plugs ever since I started riding. They do not suppress all of the outside noise, manly the wind noise. I can actually hear my bike and those around me better with plugs than without, because of the reduction in the wind noise. I say try them to see.

8. IYFphoto

IYFphoto Ripper of fish lips

Wear-em! You will be able to hear your bike, as well as any noises it may make. Steve is right when he says they block wind noise. I wear them on the street for that reason (and I thought my Arai helmet would be nice and quiet...)

I work in an industrial environment (LOUD) where ear protection is not an option. Wind noise at 100+ and the exhaust note at 12000rpms are loud enough to cause hearing loss with time. Although you may only be on the bike for a short time (endurance excluded), it is still best to protect yourself.

Louis

9. wrenn

wrenn Well-Known Member

huh? [​IMG] (fwiw: i wear them, and hear the bike ok, on the tl i really couldn't hear anybody behind me anyway [​IMG] bawhump..bawhump)

(and no jabs stick..etc.. there were plenty behind me too.)

10. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

Wear the ear plugs. Wind noise is extremely damaging and you will be surprised how well you can hear the bike. You will actually hear it much better with all that wind blocked.

Concentration is much better, at least for me.

11. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

I agree with this one.It actually helps hear. And in the Vintage pits they are a must. I forget that they are in sometimes and take them out after I leave the track!

12. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

I wear them every time. They cut the wind noise and let me hear other sounds like the bike, other bikes,...

I rode a 125 last year and I couldn't imagine not wearing them on something that noisy.

13. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

I wear them every ride, street or race. I rode 2 laps without them, once, and I'll never do that again. It greatly helps my concentration, not having to listen to all that racket.

Yes, they are illegal on the street. I don't care. My hearing is more important that some BS written down by some pricks in Harrisburg (or whatever state capitol).

Motorcycle Consumer News did an article on them and as I recall they found that your hearing is actually improved by wearing plugs. They filter out the loud noises and allow you to better hear the background noise. And since wind noise past your helmet, alone, will damage your hearing, I consider them a must.

14. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

Wear them, just don't forget to throw them away from time to time and put in a new pair!!!! (see Superstitious habits in racing) [​IMG]

15. IYFphoto

IYFphoto Ripper of fish lips

They can also come in handy around the house...for blocking out unwanted honey-dos [​IMG]

16. jericson996

jericson996 Well-Known Member

I can't wear them. For some reason headphones, earplugs etc. make me dizzy. The couple times that I've tried I found them uncomfortable but the level of noise was down considerably.

17. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

One thing to remember is if you wear them wear them in practice too. Otherwise shift points and other sounds sound different and you will take a couple laps to adjust to them.

18. mtiberio

mtiberio Well-Known Member

I wear them all the time, but if I should ever forget, the increased noise makes me think I have a cracked header, etc...

19. bdomenz

bdomenz Well-Known Member

i wear em on the road to reduce wind-noise -- but only on touring trips. not back and forth to work and that kinda riding.

at the track i wear them always! i found it helps me ride smoother/calmer by redirecting my attention and focus.

when my ears can FULLY hear the 12000rpms screaming underneath me, its just one more thing to drive my "sensation-o-meter" too high and put my attention in the wrong place.

20. Racer2k1

Racer2k1 Guest

Ear plugs all the time...try them & you'll find it hard to ride without them the next time.