1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop GP-A Pro Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pjdibbini, Mar 27, 2019.

1. pjdibbini

pjdibbini Well-Known Member

I have a set of UNUSED GP-A Pro's. NO dry rot NO cracks BUT they're from 2014. Are they fine to run? Looking for an unbiased answer. Thank you.

2. HellrazoRR

HellrazoRR Member

I would get new ones. Why risk it.

mike-guy likes this.
  3. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

The best people to ask are Dunlop.
    How the tire was stored will have a great effect on its performance once you ride around on it.
    If you have a close by Dunlop shop take the tire to them, that would be the safest course of action.

stickboy274 likes this.
  4. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Are you looking to race on them? No way. Too risky and too much risk to save $400. Track day practice? I’d probably do that and just not ride out of my comfort zone lap time.

5. pjdibbini

No racing, just track days - but sold them to ease my mind! New rubber on the way lol

mike-guy likes this.
  6. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

So someone else crashing on your potentially faulty tires eased your mind? LOL!

mike-guy likes this.
  7. pjdibbini

lol! not like that.. buyer was fully aware!

tjnyzf likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Is now. :D

9. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Old tires are not faulty tires, just saying.

NemesisR6 likes this.
  10. tjnyzf

tjnyzf Well-Known Member

That's why I said "potentially" and had the LOL! in there.

However if a tire is questionable for track us, why would it not be questionable for street use? A tire failure on the street is potentially more dangerous than at the track as it is not a controlled environment, with a ambulance near by, etc....

11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Again how does this/a old tire fail? Your theory that a tire will fail (fall apart, delaminate, loose air, chunk, loose tread) is not related to tire age. What you're saying is a 5 yr. old race tire doesn't have the same performance as a newer one would be true.

tjnyzf likes this.
  12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Pretty sure his idea of fail is not provide expected grip and cause a crash. Nobody thinks a slightly old tire will just randomly blow up.

tjnyzf likes this.