1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Contingency

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by CleverRiver6, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not yet.

2. rob92

rob92 Member

We will have some PR coming shortly. We're wrapping up the final rules for the endurance relay and will have more information on sponsors, contingency, prizes, and the purse/cash payouts.

Dunlop is the title sponsor here and they've graciously added 75k to the pot. With N2 and other sponsors, we're at roughly $115k with 23k in payouts for each of the 5 rounds.

For the 4-hour endurance, first place is $2,500 for the win for EACH class (heavyweight, middleweight, lightweight) with payouts to 7th place.
    For the 2-hour race, first place is $1,500 with payouts to 7th place.
    For the relay (part of the 4-hour), first place is $750 with payouts to 5th place.

We will limit the number of bikes that can enter the relay. It's intended to be a low-stakes, get your feet wet in endurance racing, kind of event.

As some have asked, we will absolutely group the relay teams on one side of the pit-lane to minimize traffic. No more than one bike will be allowed in the staging area (to be finalized) and the teams will simply transfer the transponder from one bike to the one on deck. The relay will be scored as its own class and is NOT eligible for overall points/place or anything of that nature.

We'll be discussing with Sean/Evelyne and other stakeholders before the final rules are released.

It's going to be one hell of a season!

JJJerry, BretSV, Chip and 5 others like this.
  3. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

That’s what you get when you pay two dollars for advice

E Reed and RRP like this.
  4. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

Will 8th place heavyweight team still get a participation trophy? :Poke:

rob92 likes this.
  5. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

How much did Twisted get for a P1 last season?

6. Bburns912

Bburns912 Well-Known Member

I think it was $1,500

7. CleverRiver6

CleverRiver6 Well-Known Member

fanny packs. Rider just unclips and passes to next rider

Rising Sun and Bburns912 like this.
  8. CleverRiver6

for your consideration; can we extend the relay class to the ULW race as well.

9. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

So this would be more then. What’s wrong with that?

10. Mr. Slowpoke

Mr. Slowpoke Member

It's not that much more when you consider how much the purse went up by. When I heard how much Dunlop put up I was expecting to see a much bigger payout for 1st. I think spreading it out more is going to help bring more teams out, which is also a good thing.

JBall likes this.
  11. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess so, but it’s still a %66 increase in payout for P1. And unless some big name riders and teams come out for this season in HWT, it’ll still be AOD and Twisted taking home the cabbage for P1 and P2. More $$ for their teams.

Hearing them bitching about winning more money is a big put-off. And I like TS.

12. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Are you really ever winning money with endurance racing? You are just spending less money for the weekend if you win.

There will be much more competition in all classes this year for sure. I bet the lightweight grid will be huge.... Same payout as HW and less cost to run with tires and fuel.

Rising Sun likes this.
  13. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Hole Lee Sh!t.
    $10k to the top four winners.
    And 29 other teams split $10k.
    It’s a win win.
    Thank you to everyone that put this together.
    The only down fall was Barber falling off the schedule.

TX Joose, pjzocc and Rising Sun like this.
  14. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

A P4 paid out squadoosh, so no, not winning anything. I'd just look at any purse $ as an offset of costs, and I'm fine with that. I went into it last year knowing that this is a "for fun" hobby, and zero expectations of riches and fame! I have no expectations of finishing in the money this season either.

I'd be surprised if it's not double digit entries across all grids, starting in the teens. There seems to be a LOT of chatter about this series. Maybe I should dump the HW entry and pick up a ULW? I'll still get passed but at least (hopefully) the stickers wont get blown off in that class!

Rising Sun and JBall like this.
  15. BretSV

BretSV Well-Known Member

Except the relay race, which I think is a really smart option to get people involved, I don't think hardly anyone outside of this post knows it exists. I'd also support adding a relay option to the ULW class. Relay is a way to get people interested who might not be ready to share a bike, and what better way than in the "entry level" class itself.

16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I like the relay class. And yeah maybe not the #s in that class. But it is starting to get a buzz...

17. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Why? You can't use a drybreak in the ULW class to begin with.

18. CleverRiver6

not sure how the relay class and the dry break are related here?

JBall likes this.
  19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

From an expense view point, there's no real difference in the regular ULW endurance and the relay class.

The biggest hurdle for the regular endurance classes is the cost/logisitics associated with quick change and dry break. The entire point of the stock rules in ULW is to keep the cost low. How much cheaper are you trying to make those races?

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The relay isn't all about cost. Without that you have to find 2 other racers that you trust enough to let them run your bike or that trust you enough to let you run theirs. Relay also requires less people for the pit stop as I would think 3 riders can handle things without any other pit crew. Also can be GP / Std. shift issues, fitting and setting up for the 6'4" 260lb guy and 5'2" 120lb guy on the same bike, different brake feel, etc.

Boman Forklift and PPPope like this.