1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Contingency

Discussion in 'WERA National Endurance Series' started by CleverRiver6, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

How much of this is based off your experience with racing in the series in the last 4 years?

Rising Sun and JBall like this.
  2. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

It all comes from personal experience. I helped with the team that finished second place in the heavyweight class last year and will be more involved this year with building the new bike and maintaining it.

3. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

"Sure, why not? It is an Endurance race after all."
    I bet if you ask the riders they will have an entire different opinion on this....

Sure, why not? Do teams currently racing actually have 9 gallon tanks on liter bikes? I don't remember any team going much further than an hour. There were light weight bikes going for much longer but that's all I can remember.
    "Yes there is...."

"4 hour Endurance racing is about fuel stops? Fueling is the easiest part of the stop. You just pick up a can and it dumps in 10 seconds. "
    Maybe you are talking middle or lightweight racing but for big bikes rear tire at each stop = faster lap times. When you can change a rear tire in the same time it takes to fuel a bike you should change a rear tire.

"How does having a larger tank change the fact that you still have to figure out how long it will last?"
    Not really... If you have big enough tank to go 1.5 hours you don't have to worry about anything with calculating fuel usage. Also every rider uses different amounts of fuel because of riding style.

"What is the reason?"
    I would have to assume some of the examples I gave.

4. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

1. There's currently a 2 hour ride time limit...if the single rider duration is a concern, you could just implement a lower time limit...but I see no necessity..(not entirely sure of why there is a limit tbh)
    2. You can't change a tire/wheel at the same time you are fueling
    3. Do I have the only endurance bikes with low fuel level indicators?

5. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

"You can't change a tire/wheel at the same time you are fueling"
    With the right quick change setup you can come real dam close. Ok so you spend an extra couple of seconds but go 1 sec a lap faster because of softer tire.

"Do I have the only endurance bikes with low fuel level indicators?"
    I don't trust low fuel indicators especially when your stock tank bottom is extended into subframe.
    Also that shit will get ripped off to make more room for fuel.

6. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

well..(1) nobody says you have to stay out until the tank is empty...so you could just come in to change tires every 20-30 minutes if that's your time advantage...but I've never seen that and (2) you wouldn't have to rip it out to make room for 2 more ounces of fuel if you can just enlarge the tank anyhow (and wouldn't be allow to remove it from a 24 L tank as technically said tank would now hold over the limit)

I guess i just don't understand, if you are basically limiting your sessions based upon tire wear, why would you care if larger tanks are allowed...should benefit you because other teams might not stop for those fresh tires as often...giving you more of an advantage...and making good/quick pit stops even more important.....

Rising Sun likes this.
  7. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

It's more around having to design some stupid 9 gallon large one off tank to be competitive.

8. SWest122

SWest122 Well-Known Member

Well shit, if that's the case then you should discuss it with the guy that runs the team. I believe he is one of the people that has a large influence on these rules.

Rising Sun likes this.
  9. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

But your arguments indicate a 9 gallon tank would make you less competitive...that's why I'm confused...no biggy

Rising Sun likes this.
  10. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

Yes, he does but they are not gong to change the rules just based on my opinion. That is why I asked on here and wanted some feedback.

In the other thread they basically said they don't want to penalize teams that already have $$$$ invested in tanks.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  11. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

You have to have over 8 gallon tank to make 1 hour stints on a liter bike.

12. SWest122

"4 hour Endurance racing is about fuel stops? Fueling is the easiest part of the stop. You just pick up a can and it dumps in 10 seconds. "
    Maybe you are talking middle or lightweight racing but for big bikes rear tire at each stop = faster lap times. When you can change a rear tire in the same time it takes to fuel a bike you should change a rear tire. So now more pit stops for big bikes then more tires and less fuel for each race....sounds more expensive. You don't need a 9 gallon tank to do an hour on a 1000.

13. SWest122

So these rules would only apply to 1000s?

Rising Sun likes this.
  14. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

No one is changing any rules I am just making suggestions to make it easier for Teams to buy off the shelf tanks and have to do more calculations on when to bring a rider in.

15. SWest122

Oh, I thought you were specifically proposing rules changes. No worries either way. I was just curious as to how you came up with the things in your post.

16. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

I am saying they should consider changing the rules.

Everything in my post is from personal experience.
    I also wanted to double check and make sure there are no rules changed because I am in the process of figuring out where to hide 8.5 gallons of fuel without making a top heavy piece of shit handling bike.

17. Lance Molnar

Lance Molnar Aoxomoxoa

You keep sucking me back in....

Why not just use a smaller tank (based on what you've stated) - better handling bike, running fresher tires and a fresher rider for almost half the race...should easily make up for your 2 extra pit stops @ 30 sec a stop (not that I can do stops that fast...but based on what you've said above)...mind you, not the path I've chosen, but seems like the logical path you would take based upon your teams experience and pit stop proficiency

18. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

You and I both know that is not how it works. Every track is different every situation is different.

This is what I am saying....
    If the other teams are running same times as you and they make less pit stops they are going to win..... Period.
    So to be competitive you have to make the same pit stops as the winning teams which in the last couple years is 3 stops and you have to have a big ass tank to do it.

19. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Yeah, it's called endurance racing. If you want cheap racing without fancy equipment, race the pony tail express style endurances.

Rising Sun likes this.
  20. gcally

gcally Well-Known Member

When did I say I wanted cheap racing. Tanks we are using are 3k each but I now get to cut up a perfectly good 24L tank and make it bigger.