1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati V4R

Discussion in 'General' started by ljuice26, Nov 4, 2018.

1. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

Why wouldn’t they? According to Öhlins...

“Compared to the old gas pressurized system, the spring pressure offers a more simplistic and user friendly design. That also accounts for easier maintenance and setting changes. But there are more advantages of a spring pressurized system. There is no risk of gas leakage, it also gives a more consistent performance curve and allows for a more compact design.”

Guess this was more of a tech question. I sincerely would like to understand.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Oh wait, so the old forks had NO springs in them at all, only gas pressurized? Were they basically like the "air forks" that were briefly employed in motocross and then shit-canned? I thought the old forks had both a spring inside them AND they were gas pressurized?

3. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

One of my friends built this. Problem is, the engine won't fit. Even with removal of the airbox the shower head injection hits the frame crossmembers near the steering head.

But of course, Ducati could figure it out. My buddy had to do some serious backyard engineering to his.

4. Phanuel

Phanuel Well-Known Member

No, they had mainsprings.

5. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

I have a 1198 engine in a 996 frame. It's a pretty easy swap by flipping the linkage to clear the frame brace and a custom airbox

I am also finishing a 1198 engine in a 999r frame with full 62.5mm Corse exhaust

6. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Are you going to put a single sided swing arm on that 999 while you're at it?

7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

So what are we splitting hairs over then? They both have springs, they both are gas pressurized and they both have compression in one leg and rebound in the other. The new ones simply don't use and external pressurized tank at the bottom of the fork leg?

8. trussdude

trussdude Well-Known Member

No, I'm not a big fan of single arms on non-single bikes. I am looking for an underslung brake caliper bracket so the BREMBO is not upside down.
    IMG_6291.jpg

Chris, turbulence, TSAVO5150 and 7 others like this.
  9. Phanuel

The gas canisters that pressurized the oil are now spring canisters.

But I don't know why he's getting worked about about Ohlins waffling over spring vs gas for the oil pressurization.

10. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

11. amartin

amartin Well-Known Member

Haha. Not worked up, just a bit surprised Ducati and now Yamaha didn't use the FKR. I guess is must be cheaper to produce this completely new fork for some reason.

12. Phanuel

If I had to guess, the spring canisters are heavier but they won't require as much maintenance as the gas will. And since they're OEM on a street legal bike, the weight savings don't outweigh the increased servicing needed.

13. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

Want! That's a project I've been wanting to do for a few years now.

14. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

So sweet! I prefer the DSS on the 999R as well, easier to maintain settings when changing gearing, plus it just looks good on those bikes. That's my favorite Ducati chassis too.

A lot of the good stuff is getting harder to find. Moto Corse used to offer an underslung caliper kit for race 64mm caliper spacing.

trussdude likes this.
  15. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Air forks are alive and well in the MX world, at least for KTM and Husqvarna makes in the AER48. It’s a really sensitive fork, and being able to adjust how the front works when an air pump in a few seconds is nice.

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

They've been used on mountain bikes for decades.

17. Busdriver02

Busdriver02 Well-Known Member

The pressurization they're talking about isn't to hold the suspension up. Both are to pressurize the gas volume above the fork oil to prevent cavitation. That can be done with a gas chamber (like a rear shock) or it can be done with another spring and a piston.

Steeltoe likes this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Oh. Like the piggy back on a shock. Gotcha.

19. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

It's based on the Corse bracket I think. They copied the one from my 749RS. I am pretty sure I know the machinist that made it, but it was not cheap as I recall.

20. doppio

doppio Well-Known Member

I was talking about Moto Corse in Japan/Italy not the guys in Florida. :D It was actually a kit with the full floating rotor too.

Discacciati is the only caliper bracket (84mm) I've seen recently, don't know if you can buy it without their caliper or not.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: