1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati V4R

Discussion in 'General' started by ljuice26, Nov 4, 2018.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Even the SBK teams are pretty restricted in terms of hard parts. The only items that can really be replaced are camshafts and springs, port work on OEM casted cylinder heads and compression ratio with different gaskets and exhaust system. All airboxes, injectors, pistons and rings, cylinders, firing order, gearboxes (not flywheel) etc must remain as homologated.

So I’d bet most of the power over the standard rating comes from tuning. That being said, Bautista showed a top speed of I think around 317kmh at PI this year. Back in 2012 Biaggi set the record there of 324kmh. I can’t imagine the modern V4R in SBK trim makes much more if any power than the RSV4 of then, which was far from a stock bike as the rules were different. I think those RSV4s were in the range of 250hp, so it stands to reason a showroom V4R can make 200-210whp. Probably 30-35hp less than a full SBK spec machine.

TL;DR - 200whp is believable for a brand new machine rated at 221hp plus a slip on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think Duc is purposely keeping some of their powder dry for when they release the Panigale V4 Superlegerra in a couple years.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

circle of life ;)

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

@KWyman133, beautiful COTA write-up. As always, your newsletters come across as genuine, sincere, honest and unbiased...hard things to put together on paper.
    Race 2 kinda said a lot, huh?
    May you continue successfully in your progress to the top!

KWyman133 likes this.
  5. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

this guy dynos his V4r and his old V4 speciale...

the results are surprising.

Prospect and mpusch like this.
  6. nlzmo400r

I wouldn't say surprising. Doesn't Ducati claim a little more power on the R with the Akra exhaust system? The 10% bigger engine makes roughly 10% more torque in the middle of the rev range. I'd say this was a predictable dyno graph. These things are rocket ships in either trim it seems.

ducnut likes this.
  7. nlzmo400r

This guy dyno'd his RSV4 1100 (which comes with an Akra slip on) and his Panigale v4s back to back in 6th gear. The aprilia made about 5 or 6 more peak hp, but I thought it was odd that the Ducati kinda nosed over. Reminded me of a standard GSXR1000/ZX10RR that slowly closes the throttles electronically near the limiter to reduce noise for emissions purposes. I wonder if the Ducati is doing that. Either way, crazy that any idiot like me can waltz in and buy one of these.

Newyork likes this.
  8. Phl218

Phl218 .

both bikes with stock exhausts. kudos on the barilla to punch out a tad more with a cat'd exhaust.

having opened a stock canister of a V4 i can tell you where the horses are lost. that thing looks like the secret tunnels of a pyramid in there. the front cylinder headers come in straight, through the cat and then hit a wall an inch after the cat. then the gases go through the flapper valve into the second chamber, to find their way to the tiny exit pipes.
    same goes for the vertical cylinders, without the immediate wall after the cat.

and FTFY

9. turbulence

a lot of bikes are doing a soft rev limiter now, instead of hitting a wall.. not saying this is what’s going on but could be?

edit, yeah, after watching the video he mentions this

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Is that what that's for? Kawasaki does that on the H2 SX models too. We figured it was to save us street squids from killing ourselves trying for top speed honors.

11. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

I will tell you that my ass dyno and trap speeds can't lie. Our bike is bone stock, with a full custom SC Project exhaust. We don't even have the ability to fuel map the bike yet, so we flashed the Akrapovic up-map in it to get close. We've had no time to dyno the bike so we don't have a clue how the fueling is.

Race one at COTA I was the third fastest trap speed in the race. This is without knowing the fueling, with 1st/2nd gear all neutered for the street rider (stock electronics), and a fuel tank that is too big on top for me to even tuck in behind the windscreen.

I can tell you that my R1 Superbike put up some big numbers last year, close to 208 on the dyno, but I wasn't getting my arms yanked or posting up speeds like I am on the Duc..... no chance...

Needless to say I'm excited for where we can take this program with some actual development time!

12. nlzmo400r

It's definitely for emissions purposes, noise or tail pipe. The european versions of the GSXR do not do this and typically dyno at 180whp as the 'flashed' units do here in the US. Stock ones in the US make about 15whp less because of the closing throttle plates.

stk0308 likes this.
  13. turbulence

do you know what brand of race fairings you guys are running? i can’t wait to see your bike when MA comes to utah. any thoughts of putting more of the fuel under the seat like the WSBK guys are running?

14. KWyman133

We are running Taylormade fairings.

We also have fuel under the seat like WSBK. We just did not have enough time to build the top in a way that was ergonomically friendly at first, our priority was making it race distance. Over the next couple weeks we will be redesigning our tanks with everything taken into consideration.

15. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

16. turbulence

17. KWyman133

Shooting for a test at Pittsburgh May 20-21 as a first shakedown of the Marelli. Would love to have it for VIR but it's too risky, especially considering it's a two-day event. Need to keep spinning laps and understanding the chassis.

18. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

As a huge fan of Ducati and someone who raced an 1199R, thank you for taking the time to post here and give us some insight into the bike and your program. Good luck this year!

cBJr, Phl218, awalk9905 and 5 others like this.
  19. KWyman133

Some insight into where we are currently through COTA, can't wait to get some parts on this thing...

Maxrr, 03RumbleBee, Phl218 and 9 others like this.
  20. wac

wac Well-Known Member

That v4-mp phone communication on the Rsv4 looks really good. Wonder if Ducati getting something similar.