1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Diavel real world experience

Discussion in 'General' started by Spang308, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I currently have a air cooled 900ie Monster that I absolutely love. My GF loves riding two up and the Monster serves the purpose decently, but sometimes she gets tired of being on the back of it and she frequently mentions she'd like a backrest. She'll even hop on the back of my 996 if we're just bopping around town for a beer or two, although a 996 hates that kind of riding. Harley Geezer Glides and their Jap wannabes are off the table, but is a Diavel that much different from a passenger comfort standpoint over my Monster or just more of the same in a different shape with more power. I see backrests are available to add.
    Also, anybody out there that can give feedback/review on how they ride and handle, particularly compared to a Monster? I ride mostly twisty back roads at a spirited but not overly agressive pace. I'd love to find something she could spend all day on that I would also enjoy riding.
    What say the all knowing beeb?

2. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

It sounds like you actually need a Multistrada. Handles twisties, two-up, can have a backrest, bags, etc. And can be a total hooligan machine. And you get wind protection.

ducnut, Buell1965 and JBraun like this.
  4. Spang308

Trust me, she'd be down for this. No way in hell I could sit on the back of a bike like she does.

Sabre699 likes this.
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Multi for sure for passenger comfort. I know some people who have soloed on a Diavel for long distances but the passenger area isn't all that.

6. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yea, I don't think the Diavel (and especially the XDiavel) is going to be a good option for regular two-up riding.

If it has to be Ducati, the multi is for sure going to be the best bet.....

7. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I've ridden one and it's the biggest swing and miss for Ducati I can think of. It's just not good for anything, especially two up riding. I agree that you need a Multi. The top case becomes a backrest and it can do anything. It's comfortable enough for a 1000 mile day but is a blast to ride fast, even two up.

8. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Get a street glide or a road glide. Then you can bang her and her girlfriends.

jrsamples likes this.
  9. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Diavels aren't really cruisers that would be all day comfortable, especially for passengers. They're Ducatis that look sort of like cruisers, by far not the same thing. If you're definitely wanting a Ducati and passenger comfort is high on the list of importance, Multistrada is the answer. Otherwise, other brands offer much better choices.

That being said, nothing with the 'cruiser look' will haul ass like a Diavel does. I used to launch those from red lights, spinning the rear tire, then it'd hook up and wheelie..Insane.

10. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I stole my brother's Wide Glide. It's not nearly as horrible as you would think but, then again, I got it for free. I have not yet attempted to bang multiple biker chicks. Is that a requirement?

11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Wear a raincoat.

12. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

U new here?
    Yes. Two times each.

tony 340 likes this.
  13. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

One look at the Diavel's passenger seat will answer your question.

14. Dave Wolfe

I think i want a gold wing for my next bike. Ive never had a really comfortable street bike.

15. tony 340

Gold wings are cool but you must be over the age of 50.

Or have a fat wife.

Or both.

16. Dave Wolfe

Alnost 50 here. U gotta be 50 for a multistrada too.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. tony 340

18. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

The Diavel is the second most ugly bike ever but it will flatten your eyeballs and has a decent amount of ergonomics and is gorgeous as long as you dont take in the whole mess in one take .

StaccatoFan likes this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Best part of riding a Diavel (or a 999) is the only time you have to look at it is when you’re getting on it. :D

Buell1965 and StaccatoFan like this.
  20. Spang308

Not the best looking thing, but the Diavel is far better looking than the 999.

StaccatoFan likes this.