1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati 748 vs. Suzuki SV 650

Discussion in 'General' started by Bryon K. Dumas, Jul 29, 2000.

1. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

This has been a rather interesting debate. Being that I race in Ltw Twins on an EX, but owned a SV that I rode on the street for a while I can relate some what. Should the 748 be allowed in Ltw Tw? Hell I don't know I don't make the rules and from the looks of it Shawn/WERA has theirs set for right now. I was curious though to see how the two bikes measured up from a pure #'s stand point stock of the show room floor. I got these numbers off of motorcycle.com. The SV weighs around 363 dry in stock form the 748 weighs in around 440. The SV makes about 68 hp and the 748 aournd 89. The SV makes around 45 ft/lbs and the 748 makes about 49 ft/lbs. Just for fun because I didn't want to work on what I should be doing at work. I figured the power to weight for each (hp/weight). SV=.19 and the 748=.20. Now what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Hell I don't know and what is .01 difference on the track, don't know that either. Rider ability taken out of the equation along with the bikes handling and I would think that a Superbike SV could run just a click behind a Prod. or SS 748. Put Lee Acree on both bikes and I'm sure he's going to be faster on the 748. Put in all types of rider abilites and it would probably be a free for all at some tracks like Tall, but somewhat more distinct advantages at tracks like RA where HP comes into play. Place Lee Acree and Mark Junge on one of these and the one of the 748 is probably gonna win. With the SV in Ltw Tw now the bar has been raised, but not so sure the 748 falls in Ltw Tw at this time. Really doesn't effect me and the poor old clapped out EX because I sit around and dream of having 70 hp and what I could maybe do with it. If any of you know me, you know my EX has seen it's better days, but I'll still try and get up there and play when I can.

Chris
    #476 Expert

2. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

Sean,
    I do commend you for indulging my debate. That's one of the reasons I race almost exclusively with WERA.
    If our argument was a race I sincerely believe I lapped you, twice, in a six lap race [​IMG].
    One cold hard fact remains. You guys are the HMFIC and I respect your final decisions regardless of if I agree with them or not.
    Keep up the good work and thanks for the intelligent discourse. Hope to see you at the GNF if the super glue holds my arm on correctly.

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

[​IMG] I love a good debate but we're not getting anywhere with this one any longer so it seemed a good time to quit for a while.

You do have some good points so don't give up the hope yet!

Now, what's this about super glue?!? DIdn't you tell them that JB Weld is much better for racing applications? What the heck did you do anyway?

4. lathe dog

lathe dog Well-Known Member

sean,
    74hp & 360lbs. at the gnf for the sv cup! is this correct? that would be good.

5. WERA

WERA Administrator

74 or 76 - I'll double check and post Monday when I get back from Summit (although I will be letting people know at the track and some of you should be getting the letter from Suzuki any day now). I know the 360 is correct.

Aw heck, I'll go dig it out and post it in a new thread in a few minutes.

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

if you think the sv is so equal to the 748 then why don't we just kick both of them out of ltwght twins and then us hawk people will be kewl again stickboy

7. wera122

wera122 Guest

Just hang in there Stickboy. That old Hawk will be eligible for Vintage racing soon and then you'll be back up front. [​IMG]

8. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

Stickboy up front? ROTFLMFAO [​IMG]

9. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Did you read the article on Ledesma's SV? If not, it's pretty interesting...Engine mods alone cost $6944.42 and the result was 87hp! Pretty impressive, but he was still beat by Eric Woods on a 748 and a Buell came in second... Granted, Mr Woods is a hell of a rider but the price for engine mods alone puts in out of the reach of most club riders.

Not trying to continue the argument, just found the article interesting.

10. Bryon K. Dumas

Bryon K. Dumas Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we all have different resources at our disposal. The key to winning is using the resources at your disposal to their greatest advantage. Being 21 years old with perfect eyesight and 7% bodyfat is an advantage that my 40 year old fat butt can't compete with.
    One good tumble took me out for months whereas I watch younger guys get up from horrendous tumbles and stomp off like they are pissed off and completely unhurt.(Like Charlie McC, ooops, he just thinks he's young).
    My point being......money alone does not win a championship.

11. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

but it sure doesn't hurt.

12. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

Amen to that! Being an EX 500 pilot in lightweight twins and being able to out ride a lot of guys at times only to see them motor me at tracks like Roeb and RA. Only makes it that much clearer what a few extra bills couldn't solve in some scenarios. But hey if I had those resources I would use them to. Oh what I think I could do with a superbike SV...dreams, dreams, dreams

Chris
    476 Expert

13. stickboy274

first the hawk is vintage legal but i don't want to fight fzr 1000's or gsxr 1100's. even the old ones are fast on the straights.

second tracee you better be careful i hear you may need tire on those new rims and pm's bend easy!! think about that

see you at the track

14. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Hear,hear my former brother-in arms! I spent the greater part of last year wishing I had all the goodies that would give me the horsepower to run with you and the other guys. The deficit I had running a bone stock EX motor induced me to hone my riding skills and make up for the fact that I only had 52hp to work with. In a year I went from dead last to 4th place.

In retrospect, I must say that this made for the finest racing that I ever experienced. It also taught me that horsepower isn't everything. In short, "It is a poor artist that blames his brushes."

15. stickboy274

dont get me wrong i'll race against horsepower, just check the hvy twns stats, but those old big bikes scare me besides should a hawk be in a race that is basically a vintage formula 1 race. i fought with a 916 and a tlr at road a of all places, and had a great time untill the 916 crashed( not to kewl)

16. CharlieM#90

CharlieM#90 Well-Known Member

Oh puhleez.....Not what I heard when I asked you about coming out to play in Formula2. Just the mere suggestion makes you start whimperin' and making excuses..... [​IMG]

Charlie McCullough WERA#90

17. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

Come on, man.Don't make me dig out the old EX...! [​IMG]

18. bgoodwin

bgoodwin Half Ass

After much thought I have come to the conclusion-- damn the SV's, let the 748 take it's rightful place as ruler of lightweight twins. All Hail King Desmo!!!. The power difference is not such a huge issue if you take into account the rather porky weight of a 748, and it is VERY expensive to take pounds off it. If WERA wants to continue "performance indexing" (otherwise known as penalizing) bikes then how about a V11 Moto Guzzi in Lightweight Twins, it should be sufficiently slow and heavy.

19. wera122

wera122 Guest

Well then where were you Saturday night for the drunken, injured, "10-speed with battery lantern zip-tied to the bars" races?

I guess the track manager goes to bed before midnight! [​IMG]

20. stickboy274

charlie i dont race formula 2 so that i dont have to pass you slow experts on those 2 strokers.

and i think i missed the 10 speed races because i didnt bump my head on the fence, ground or my bike in a race on sat. hope you get back soon tom, i'll be hungry. watch for ass-packing 600 riders