1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dryer repair help please

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

I have a gas dryer that stopped heating last week. I pulled the cover at the lower front and vacuumed out a bunch of lint, the igniter started glowing within 10-15 seconds of turning it on, then gas flowed and all seemed fine. Next day it wasn't working again- drum will spin but igniter doesn't come on. All the videos I find show a thermal fuse under the back panel, but none of those have the front access panel like mine does. I was surprised to find that Lowes doesn't even carry gas dryers in store (special order) and none of the big box stores carry any parts for them. If it helps I have a 20+ year old Whirlpool. Any words of wisdom before I tear into it tonight?

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the thermocouple is Kaput....
    Do you have a way to make sure it is making voltage?

3. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

I think I found the problem. :D

In all seriousness, I’m useless on this topic. Was just impressed with the life you got out of that dude.

Newyork likes this.
  4. Tristan

I've got a voltmeter (several actually...) but not sure where exactly the thermocouple is (the guides I've seen don't mention it, maybe called something else)

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

sounds like IIRC a relay/coil pack, had the same thing happen on two of them so far. dont remember the specifics but was an easy fix.

6. Tristan

Me too- can't believe the skinny little belt has never broken. The dryer came with the house when I bought it 20+ years ago and wasn't new then! The things are pretty damn simple.

7. Tristan

Gas valve solenoid is a likely culprit and looks easy to access, it's supposedly the #2 problem after the thermal fuse.

8. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Yeah, looking at the schematic on those the use a thermal fuse and a heat sensor. I would check continuity on both of those.
    Typically the thermocouple comes off the gas valve and allows it to turn on when it see’s heat from the pilot.

9. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

yeah that. just couldnt remember what the term was.

10. Tristan

Thanks all, I went ahead and ordered a kit for $37 that has the fuse, igniter, coils, and flame sensor. Once I figure out where it all goes I should be good for another 20 years. Or I'll burn down the house....either way, problem solved!

BigBird, Newyork and Funkm05 like this.
  11. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

12. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

FIFY

13. joec

joec brace yourself

Blocked vent if you have flame. 20 years is a lot of lint.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

Sorry, got here late. I believe with what you ordered you should be good. I would also check into the preventive maintenance kit for it and while you have it apart just go ahead and replace the drum rollers, belt, pulley, & seal and you probably won't be back in there for another 20 years or so unless those parts have been replaced previously. Let me know if you need anything else, good luck.

BigBird likes this.