1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Dec 5, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

What’s the deal with these? My brother wants one so I’m helping research. At what price point do you move from toy to useful device? This will be used primarily for amateur filming (nephew is a competitive hs fisherman), land surveying (checking on cows, downed fence, etc), and a little fun.

2. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

They're getting better every 30 minutes. Get a last gen DJI thing for 60% of the new one and start playing.

3. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

for that application without breaking the bank, DJI Mavic Pro fits the bill.

Newsshooter likes this.
  4. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I was kinda interested in one until I found out they don't do well in the wind. We get hammered by wind here so I might be able to fly it a day or 2 a month.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What rural said DJI mavic pro for doing that type of work.

Could get a lower end consumer model to practice with but the mavic pro is what I’ve seen commercial level stuff is done with.

6. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Where do you find one that's not $900?

7. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

Look at the Autel Evo. Much better than anything DJI. Check out all of the geofencing garbage and tracking DJI does and avoid them if you plan to fly anywhere near civilization. Autel does not have any nanny software like that.

8. ljuice26

ljuice26 Well-Known Member

If it’s his first, start with the new Mavic mini. Price is $399 and does everything well.

9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

What could possibly be more fun than filming competitive fishing and cows???

badmoon692008, ryoung57 and cm1744 like this.
  10. Alex_V

Alex_V Dump the diesel

A used Mavic 2 Pro with a 4K lens is hard to beat.

11. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

IDK. When you do let me know...

:D

12. muguvian

muguvian Well-Known Member

Work bought a DJI Mavic Pro and a Yuneec Typhoon H for me to use for crash site surveying. The ONLY advantage the DJI has is portability as it can pack down into a lunchbox-size case. The Yuneec is more stable in wind and has 6 blades with a limp home mode if one blade or motor gets damaged. If the DJI loses a blade or motor it goes down immediately. Video quality (up to 4k, 30 fps) is very close between the two, range goes to the DJI but the Yuneec's range is still way out past my line of sight. If I have the choice I fly the Yuneec 9 times out of 10 over the DJI.

Ditto on the above comments about the PITA of the DJI privacy and geofencing restrictions. Yuneec shifts the airspace responsibility to the user instead of disabling take-off or enforcing an auto-land like DJI. The FAA has made some significant changes to hobbyist and commercial users, you should look here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I'm curious, does the FAA require you to be licensed to fly one since you work for them?

14. muguvian

I'm DoD so we civilians operate under what is essentially a memorandum of agreement. NTSB and other fed agency counterparts (and local/state LEOs) have similar agreements or have to be "licensed" under the Part 107 like all other commercial operators. If the FAA uses drones I assume their operators have to, too.

15. muguvian

And now that the vendors have a few generations of product out there, you can easily find used drones under $1k with very few hours on them.

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

i just bought a used marvic pro from @Metalhead

haven't used it yet, will wait until christmas.

but i'm very tempted.

17. kevincg

kevincg Well-Known Member

I have a great DJI Phantom 3 pro set up I would sell. It is a great drone to learn with as its very stable and easy to fly. Excellent camera.
    Lots of spare rotors, and a few batteries.

18. Chasbro

Chasbro Well-Known Member

You might want to start with a toy first and learn how to control a drone manually, but you don't have to. It's almost like learning to use a sextant. Most serious drones are all gps stabilized. I'd go with the dji mavic mini fly more combo. $499. I've had 3 dji phantoms and they were all great. Big and noisy, but great. I've been flying the Parrot Anafi for the last year or so. Very small and quiet and the zoom lens lets you stay back undetected and still get the shot.

19. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Not as good for stills as the mavic pro 2 with a hasselblad lens and 20mp.

20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version