1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drilling concrete with aggregate.

Discussion in 'General' started by pefrey, Jan 22, 2018.

1. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

How is it done? I have a hammer drill and what I believe are proper (masonry) bits, but the spade on the bit is worn to nothing on the first hole. Everything on the Googles shows drillling cinder blocks n stuff. I am drilling old but solid concrete with lots of stone aggregate. Holes are less than 1/4 inch wide and 2 to 3 inches deep.

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's drilling concrete with aggregate. Hammer Drill and a masonry bit is the best you'll do. If you are talking cordless hammer drill well you might as well just beat on the end of the drill bit with your flaccid wiener. There isn't enough impact in the hammer of those things to do much good. It's also possible that someone put the rebar up to high and you have managed to be drilling into the top of one.

blake holt likes this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

some (older) concrete is tough to drill! Usually stuff from the 50s! :D

4. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Masonry bits aren't sharp to begin with.

5. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Corded rotary hammer (hammer drill) and the proper bit. Tool rental places will rent you a BFD if you need one. (Big F-in Drill)

Phl218 likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Cordless is fine as long as it's an actual rotary hammer and not a 1/2" drill with a hammer function.

Drilled all the 7/8" holes in my slab to put my lift in with a Milwaukee SDS 18v rotary hammer. One 5ah battery got the 14 holes drilled no problem.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

3000 PSI is the 28 day design strength. Concrete continues to harden for YEARS. 5o year old concrete that isn't exposed to weathering can be some hard a$$ stuff.

terminus est likes this.
  8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

We always borrowed a big bitch Milwaukee hammer drill from an electrical contractor when we needed to set new hoists.

9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Go to home depot, rent an SDS drill and be done with it. Harry homeowner hammer drills just aren't up to the task, and all you'll do is wreck your own shit. Been there done that (Makita 18v 1/2" hammer drill sent to destination fucked). You might get away with a couple 1/4" holes here and there, Or pre drilling for some tapcon's but if you've got a bunch to do in old hard concrete, just rent one. Or like I do buy one used with the plan to sell it when I'm done, but never do.

blake holt likes this.
  10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Milwaukee corded FTW.

terminus est likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Milwaukee? Pfft. Hilti.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid:
    You can find a used Hilti TE 15 for around $250, they're $750 new. You'll never buy another one, they last a lifetime.
    The only drawback is you have to use Hilti drill bits.

I've had good luck with the Dewalt cordless hammerdrill, as long as you have a good bit.

13. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I have a smaller 1/2" Bosch SDS that works well too.

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

For SDS MAX? Fuck yeah!

15. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

My TE26 uses SDS MAX. Can get bits anywhere.

16. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Ok, so the jist of what I am reading is that my experience is not abnormal, and my flaccid weiner is better than the corded Harbor Freight Hammer Drill I have been using. I'll rent a proper hammer drill for the rest the install. Thanks guys.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Make sure you have bits that aren't crap too. They're never sharp but it sucks to have a good drill shatter a bit on you.

18. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Four pound beater and a star drill.

ungwaha likes this.
  19. terminus est

terminus est Be prepared

Milwaukee sponsors bike racing, pay attention.

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

That's how I finished my 3/4" holes after cooking my makita. Bought a bunch at a yard sale. Only had about 2" left to go for some floor anchors for my bender. It was surprisingly fast, but man invented hammer drills, and SDS drills for a reason.