1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drilling bolt holes in tail

Discussion in 'Tech' started by drnick_710, Jan 9, 2020.

1. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any solutions for measuring and drilling mounting holes in a superbike tail. Bike is an '06 GSXR 600. Long story short, the tail needed some significant repair so I'm starting from scratch with no bolt holes to go by. Thanks!

2. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

If you can access the mounting points, put the tail section in place and either use a sharpie or a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole.

3. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

wouldnt it just be easier to replace it? parts are so easy to find for them

4. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

It probably would have been easier to replace it, yes. It's already repaired though, it just needs the holes drilled and paint at the moment.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If the tail goes straight on, you could try putting a bolt in in the subframe hole the with a tiny dab of wet paint on top of it. Then carefully lower the tail into place and raise it straight back up. That might give you a starting point to drill from the inside of the tail.

If you have to drill blind, measure it. Then take it off put it back on and measure it again. If they don't agree do it a third time. Get the width between the bolts using a caliper. Start with a tiny drill bit and see how close you get on side A and work it until you have it, then side B should be a piece of cake.

Best bet would be to find someone with the same bike and bodywork and ask them to measure the holes (assuming your mount is not custom). I have GSXR bodywork but it is on an SV with custom mounts, so not going to help.

6. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

When I'm drilling holes for frame sliders, I put a laser pointer straight across from the engine bolt where the slider goes - dead nuts centered, with no bodywork. Then I put the bodywork on, and the laser marks the spot for the center of the drill. I'm sure you can do something similar from above - like a plumb bob laser pointer.

7. drnick_710

drnick_710 Member

Those are helpful suggestions; I'll give them a shot. Thanks!

8. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

Yeah what this guy said

9. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

Put a flashlight behind it. Drill hole.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. damiankelly

damiankelly Well-Known Member

Try modelers clay.. 2“ x 2“ square about a half inch thick squished into the tail at mount points....lowered onto the sub frame to impress the marks ..carefully lift it off and you should have your spots. WD40 metal for non.stick

pscook likes this.
  11. Kyle Brosius

Kyle Brosius Well-Known Member

OMG life changing knowledge