1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dow Jones

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Sep 22, 2015.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Anyone trying to pick up the IPO on Snap Chat?

2. slimjim00

slimjim00 Well-Known Member

I'm not very into the "real" stock worlds, but I've been playing around with cryptocurrencies for the last few weeks (If you have no idea what I'm talking about the most popular one is "Bitcoin"[Currently priced at $1,250ish per]) the last few weeks and have been learning a TON about markets.

Granted Bitcoin appears to be the wild wild west, but man is this cool stuff to learn.

3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I have a hard time getting on board with Bitcoin. Been watching it for a few years now. It's certainly interesting and offers anonymity but relies on some outside factors.
    I've been more wrong than right in the recent market changes so what the hell do I know. Hard to believe Bitcoin is on parity with gold but here we are.

4. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong if you just BUY BUY BUY!!
    I haven't contributed a penny since the lst of the year, but i'm still +$7000. If i had been working and contributing this year, i would be more like +$12k. Back to work Monday.

5. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

The current market is built on anticipation. A correction is in the offing when reality strikes, even IF most of the promises are fulfilled. Question, Do you actually trust the politicians to come through? Why this time when so many times before they let us down? My contrary approach has me wondering.....I really got spooked when the TV idiots started talking about a DOW 30,000!

6. gapman789

Theyre talking 40,000 too

7. Motofun352

Can anyone say bubble?:eek:

8. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

As long as there's a greater fool still buying, the bubble can still expand.

But, when there's an entire industry largely based on made-up bullshit and lies... and bets surrounding those lies... and bets surrounding the outcome of the other bets made about those lies... and still more bets about the outcome of the bets made on the outcome of the original bets about made-up bullshit... well, yeah.

Banditracer likes this.
  9. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

You sound like the scene from the Big Short with Richard Thaler and Selena Gomez : )

10. auminer

I was thinking about that when I typed that. :D

I'm not a Wall Street insider by any means, especially not anymore, but that movie was one of the more accurate portrayals of the underbelly of that beast that I've ever seen.

11. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

People have been saying there is another crash coming since 09.... I'm not holding my breath. Not saying it makes sense. But the market doesn't have to make sense.

12. Motofun352

I'm not expecting a crash but a 10 % correction wouldn't surprise me in the least. When that happens I'll be buying, until then I'm on the sidelines.

13. gapman789

There's really no indicators of a correction, let alone a recession. We had a 'correction' last year so

inpayne likes this.
  14. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

https://start.tastyworks.com#/login?referralCode=YTP6JEX8YS

If anyone trades options, or is looking to getting into trading options, take a look at Tastyworks. The people who own this brokerage are the same guys who developed ThinkorSwim. They've designed a new platform to be easier for people to use, and created a brokerage with lower commissions on option trades ($1.00/contract and no closing commission, but there is a small exchange fee - like 40 cents). They also have tons of training stuff on their site.

I'm not tryin' to spam, but full disclosure, I do get benefit from using the link above. I don't usually post "opportunities", but these people are a good company and cheap.

15. gapman789

We killed it today didn't we?!

$$$$$$$$$

16. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

Three peaks and a doomed house.

17. Lawn Dart

I'm getting killed on Caterpillar (earnings) and Tesla (Elon Musk could fart, and the stock will jump 5%) at the moment. :mad: I'll live, but they're killin' my mojo.

Volatility, market-wide, is way down, which is bad for the way I trade. S&P 500 volatility is at about a 7 on a scale of 0-100.

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I've gotten into the Showtime series Billions. It focuses around a hedge fund company and the US Attorney General trying to nail his ass. I really like the show and wonder how much of it is true or even partially true regarding dealings on Wall Street?

19. auminer

Hooray! Such-and-such costs more today than it did yesterday! That means you should buy it!

20. Lawn Dart

I'm not alone in my disbelief that this thing keeps going up without taking a breather. I'm looking at gaps up two days in a row, and solid green candles, after weeks of climbing. Some days, I hate being a contrarian. I look for oversold and prices near yearly and all-time highs. They're everywhere and no one seems to be giving up. LOL

When this market pops, I'm gonna make some money.