1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Double A Borello Gets Another "out of industry" Sponsor

Discussion in 'General' started by RollieManollie, Apr 4, 2012.

1. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

2. KovzR6

KovzR6 Well-Known Member

thats what happens when you are a famous paddock DJ! unce! unce! unce!

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Sweet :up:

4. RollieManollie

RollieManollie I Need to Get My Beak Wet

Hahaha!! I'm thinking if I start playing some Kenny G, I might get a few leads!! :D

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Well done, Aaron!

6. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

XR 1200? Aaron really seems to have a thing for twins. Good luck this season.

7. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Thanks to everyone who posted up here!

As for the secret... I dont think there is one particular thing but I can say these things have been "key" for me...

1.Get face to face meetings with the people who you want to sponsor you. I have had endless emails with proposal after proposal and then it just ends. Get in front of the person or people! For every sponsor you get be prepared to be turned down 100+ times.

2.They key for me is to be up front and have clear expectations from/for my sponsors. Think about this... "Have you ever had a friend/family member etc come to a race and not walk away saying that they loved the experience of a WERA event?" This sport offers a bunch of excitement at every level!

3.Dont worry about other racers being critical of you. There will always be someone faster. I cant tell you how many times I have had sponsors tell me that they get calls/resumes after they sponsor me and the racer is saying "I beat him before or I am faster than him"... Honestly there is way more to it than that...

4.Follow through with all of your sponsors. Race reports, news release, etc. FWIW-I only do RoadRacingWorld news release if a sponsor is giving me money or paying some sort of bill. Not for discounts. Just my policy but to me this goes in line with #2 don't sell yourself short (I have heard Mongo say this a bunch of times about racers and he is 100% right DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT!)

5.Have someone help you. I have a friend who owns a marketing/advertising firm. Have a professional portfolio. I can say that social media helps. This last deal I would not have gotten without Facebook. Hate it or love it social media is here. Consult with someone like Lance Lau of Maverick Moto Media. I know as racers budgets are tight but $500-$1,000 is not that much if you get a professional looking portfolio, social media site, etc. Side note I am not associated with Lance but follow several of his racers and "He gets it'.

Figured I would post this up since I have had a couple people ask recently. Honestly I am new at this but hey if you got a question maybe I can help. Never be afraid to ask people in this industry the people can be very helpful...

Oh and pics of Umbrella girls helps:D

Ride safe,
    AAron

8. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Yea I am a gluton for punishment I suppose! From Ducati's to a Harley's.

Ride safe,
    AAron

9. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

tracking measurable results can't hurt anything either.

i.e. "Clique Vodka had ____ 'likes' on facebook when they started their sponsorship relationship with Twisted Speed Racing. ____ months later, they've added _____ more 'likes.'"

10. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

Absolutely! One of the great things about this industry and gaining "outside of the industry sponsors" is the fact that people (racers, motorcycle enthusiasts, etc) really do patronize the sponsors. It is Really awesome when sponsors tell you that sponsoring you worked!

Ride safe,
    AAron

11. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Wow.. if I was the sponsor I'd tell them "what you just told me really matters, thank you.. there's not a snowball's chance I'd work with you now."

12. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Thanks for the mention, Aaron! :beer:

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: You are definitely on FB too much saying things like that!

14. Tifosi

Tifosi Well-Known Member

Nicely done Aaron:up: We will definitely be following you this season...can't wait to hear your feedback on the Harley...the racing looks great. It's great to see that two of WERA's HWT racers have made the transition to the AMA:beer:

15. Congratulations AA :beer:

Im kinda wanting to ride/race one of those. I think it would be fun.

16. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Nice job Aaron. Good to see you doing it the right way. Congrats.

17. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Great job AA!!!

Seems like only yesterday we were sitting down at the BottleShop Cafe going over that legal-size paper list of racing questions!!

18. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Maybe from "Glen Oaks Retirement Village."

Has anybody else noticed how many new guys who have not even ridden a race are trying to get sponsorship FIRST? I'm getting about one email a week from new guys asking me to help them with their resumes, and they have never even taken a flag yet. Really? I say "Go try a few races. Then you'll have an idea what it is about and you can begin to make a presentation."

AA is totally right about the face-to-face thing. Email requests for sponsorship are a waste of effort. You have to go pump the flesh, sit down with the guy and show him how you can benefit him.

You're fast and think that alone makes it worthwhile to sponsor you? Not at all. You're not fast but you have big dreams and hopes? Not a chance, pal. Show your work, as teachers used to say, in the days before every little kid got a gold star for picking his boogers.

Act like an asshole on Facebook, or in the paddock where it gets noticed by any media, and your sponsorship chances just faded to almost zero. Photos of you and your girlfriend on your track day bikes in front of a random store don't help the potential sponsor, they embarrass him. Getting sponsored by a business that screws their customers will hurt you down the line, too. Running the stickers and decals of a shop that is known in the area as being incompetent will hurt your future chances. You have to be particular about who you will represent. More than anything else, get even a hint of a rumor that you are a drug abuser or user, you may as well pack your stuff and go home. The 70's are over.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  19. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

sup aa , way to go dude !

look me up under the triple crown banner at ra

and good luck , ride safe , ride fast

20. 703motogp

703motogp Well-Known Member

Tom, you're an awesome guy! :beer: