1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dotard

Discussion in 'General' started by motoboy, Sep 22, 2017.

1. motoboy

motoboy Well-Known Member

(Not political)

Why is there so much confusion about this word? I've known it since I was maybe 8, and that's with a South Carolina rural public education!

I admit it is rarely used, for good reason, but why are Mesrrs Funk & Wagnall being swamped with queries about it?

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Huh? Who knows they are being swamped besides you? Give us some info at least. A link maybe? I don't think this is front-running news.

3. motoboy

Ah. Maybe I should have put it in the dungeon for context. If I post a link ot would definitely go political. My bad.

4. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

It's what "rocket man" called trump in his latest rant. The word ranks up there with several other words that sound nasty but are not. Rocket Man is said to have attended some very fine private institutions and his formal use of the English language and vocabulary would support that. The word basically means someone who is senile/crazy.

5. casjoker

Yes, probably dungeon material especially if link provided.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

7. motoboy

Hee Hee! He attended a prominent university?

8. condon66

condon66 Member well known

I stand corrected. I guess it is front-running news.

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What is this? An offroad motorcycle fitted with street tires that Homer Simpson rides? Or would that be a D'ohtard?

[​IMG]

L8RSK8R, Knotcher and badmoon692008 like this.
  10. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Hmm, around here what we call dotards are people that think doTerra shit will cure all your ails. But it seems the other definitions fit for the same group too.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never heard the term before this morning.

G Dawg likes this.
  12. Never heard the term.

13. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I'm thinking that's the only reason you actually know it. I've never heard it before kim said it.

motoboy likes this.
  14. casjoker

I had a crazy 11th-grade English teacher who made us read all kinds of oddball stuff. It was one of our vocabulary words. I remember it because we were smartasses and started using it instead of retard. When I decided to use it towards my algebra teacher and she picked up on what we were doing and sent me to the office. My dad was not pleased when he picked me up at the principal's office.

15. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

JRR Tolkien used it in the Lord of the Rings, pretty sure it was Wormtongue talking to Theoden and Gandalf.

I've seen it frequently, but I read a lot of SF/Fantasy in my time.

motoboy likes this.
  16. motoboy

Never go full dotard?

casjoker likes this.
  17. motoboy

And Gandalf to Denethor.

Geek-check...Bing!

bored&stroked and casjoker like this.
  18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Dotard? Like Acree? Doesn't it mean old and confused?

19. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Who the hell is rocket man??

20. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We call my dog Dan-tard (his name is Dante and he can be retarded sometimes).