1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dorian

Discussion in 'General' started by Sabre699, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Should be moving quicker in the next 12 hours and it's gone down to a category 2.

I'm still worried about a left turn though, mother nature has been a bitch for us racing this year. And no, that isn't playing down the true devastation to the people in its path, just my self centered but of obsession with the path.

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Man I dunno at what point he made that. Dude could be dead now the way that water was coming up. And he said there were people in the submerged house next door. If he survives he'll have to jump out because his first floor will be buried in sand and debris along with everything around him.

3. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

Considering the highest point above sea level in the Bahamas is 20-30ft above sea level, it doesn't take much with storm surge at 20+ feet to consume nearly everything. Since tourism is their main revenue source, I can't imagine what the long term effect will be on the folks I know down there. I don't know how they'll rebuild.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm wondering how much land they'll lose too :(

Quicktoy likes this.
  5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Yep...they are screwed for quite a while I would say.

When I was driving there a few months ago it sounded like the reefs had taken a beating from the last one and were nicer before...this one will tear them up even more.

I left out if Nassau and most houses/buildings I saw were basically ground level...no stilts.

They got hit right on the chin this time...sucks

6. Inst Tech

Inst Tech ain't no half steppin

"But we have hurricane proof windows"........uh yeah, but can your roof sustain 200mph winds? I've been through several hurricanes and I would have bailed long before that. Hope he's still alive.

K51000 likes this.
  7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

The community in the video is Marsh Harbour. News is not good.

8. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

The video says Freeport and the guy describes the area as Pine Bay.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Sorry I was reading it on Reddit.

I don't understand Reddit.

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

No one does. All you really need to know is it sucks.

11. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

You should just stick to looking at the pictures then...and drawing maps for riTchie

Steeltoe likes this.
  12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

[​IMG]

R1M370 likes this.
  13. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

The guy shooting the video doesn’t realize the erosive powers of the ocean, the real threat of it washing away his pilings, and the house collapsing. A scary video to watch

14. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Glad it slowed down and turned north. Our daughter is in Ft. Lauderdale, and she sort of dodged a bullet. Lots to worry about from Alaska, clear across the country and nothing we could do but read weather reports, we are much relieved now. She's a doctor, and was on a team that would be in the hospital 24-7 til it was over, so she would have been real busy.

15. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Yikes,that was what I was thinking too,was the house collapsing with them still inside if the pilings give way:(

ducnut likes this.
  16. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Looks like The Sunsail/Moorings marina is gone along with Mangos, Harbor View and the new docks the Dream Yacht Charters built. Marsh is a mess.

17. BigBird

BigBird blah

the long term effects will be high crime and drugs unfortunately. Drug dealers and gun runners will pounce and people will look at a anything that may provide a source of revenue, and can't blame them.

18. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Ya really sucks. I've been keeping the boat down there during the winters since around 09. I'd just stick it on a ball in Hopetown and I had a buddy that would check on it. He worked at the Hopetown Inn and Marina so he was there all the time. No way I'd do that for a while. There will be too many desperate people and I could see it either getting cleaned out of given the shortage of housing having somebody move into it.

19. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I disagree, the last thing they need or will let happen is to scare the tourist and $$ from comming there.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

i hope this is the case, but without any source of income, how long will people hold out? airlines? boats? rebuilding takes time. I went to Sint Maarten/St.Martin and they are still recovering from Irma 2 years ago. There was a uptick in gun crimes year-over-year, from like 25 incident to 50, but they also are seeing an increase in crimes due to lack of income, etc. But I will say, they are still rebuilding, and there are still washed up boats on some shores, and a lot less businesses than there was 3 years ago, but whatever is being built is fancier and much much taller than what was there previously. I can see them becoming more of a Bora-Bora of the Carribean if they can keep crime in check, and maybe Bahamas will have that same thing occur, rebuild newer and better than before.