1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom on Baghdad....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Ex CCS Racer, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Anyone been reading little tid bits about the special forces in Iraq? Delta Force operators are IN Baghdad looking for Sodom Insane along with SEAL team 6 doing surgical strikes on key installations. I personally love talking and reading about this kinda stuff. Anyone else?

Where's Bruce/Nancy:D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2003
  2. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

3. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Tony, you ever read Richard Marcinko's books? "Red Cell" was great, but his first, "Rogue Warrior" was his best. Highly recommended.

4. Tank Boy

Tank Boy clank clank boom

The hardware is cool. But the part of the SFs mission that takes brass ones the size of bowling balls is to infiltrate an enemy city where you don't exactly fit in with nothing but a sidearm, radio and maybe a laser designator.

Ever since Sept. 11 things have been like a Tom Clancy novel.

:cool:

5. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Read his biography "Rogue Warrior" first and once he started writing novels I've bought everyone in hardback. I let PKS borrow all 8 and she read 'em in like a month:eek:

6. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

And Jay I believe some of the true stories hidden in his fiction. Maybe I'm gullible....:eek: I've seen some of that stuff first hand and know crap like that goes on.

7. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

I'm right here, Tony. Keeping up with it as best as I can. I can't wait to hear the stories that will never come out in print or video after this is all over from some of my buddies. :cool:

8. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I particularly interested in the hunt Delta Force is on for Sodom Insane. Also, there has been reports through the Naval Special Warfare community(and on some news sites) that there have been explosions in downtown Baghdad when we weren't bombing. Supposedly by SEAL 6 members causing a havoc and doing some hopping and popping...HOO YAH!!!

:)

9. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

Breakin' Sh$t is what they do best! :D

Wait a minute! I thought Delta Force didn't exist? ;)

10. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I'm ready for special forces to get wind of where Osama and his merry bunch are hiding. :cool:

11. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

Yeah, kinda like edub says about WMD in Iraq. Since we can see or find them they must not exist:rolleyes:

12. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

They're still looking;)

13. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I read "Rogue Warrior" while I was sitting in the Saudi desert. Good shite! I've read most of his novels and attended a couple book signings. He's quite a character at those things complete with beer in hand (a Miller Lite both times oddly enough (readers of the books will know why this is odd)) and Key West-ish attire. I bumped into him (literally) at a Bennigan's once and I think I got a sense of his true personna. :eek:

14. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

He wasn't a good guy when he took over my base:eek: Submariners are pussies:D

15. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Did he have a Bombay gin in hand? I loved the story about the cobra feast with the Vietnamese Khmer....and asking for ice cream after all that curry and hot pepper so, when sitting on the toilet the next day he could scream, "C'mon ice cream!" He's got quite the gruff sense of humor. I heard an interview once with a guy who served with Demo Dick. He said that Dick has been known to embellish quite a bit, and that things didn't happen quite the way Dick recounts.

16. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I've heard the same things and I think the further along he got with the novels the more I could sense some embelishment. Still, its very entertaining stuff.

I don't actually remember what he was drinking at Bennigan's. As soon as I realized who I'd pissed off I just tried to blend in......you truly never know who your going to piss off. :rolleyes:

17. Rat

Rat Well-Known Member

"I personally love talking and reading about this kinda stuff."

James Thurber covered most of this stuff in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty". :rolleyes:

Tom Clancy's books are repititious swill. Tom Clancy is the male version of Danielle Steele. One writes nonsensical and reptitious garbage designed to appeal to the estrogen set and the other does the same to the testosterone set.

Not to be critical or anything...

18. Ex CCS Racer

Ex CCS Racer Banned

I'm not much into Clancy. I've been trying to read Rainbow 6 for 6 months now. I always find another book more interesting and read it instead. But I can put a fae with the characters since I've got the PC game. I recently bought one of Clancy's non fiction books "Shadow Warriors". It's okay.
    As far as Marcinko's books he does embellish just a little too much. Bombay on the rocks probably:eek: But he does kinda reveal some dirt on the US concerning Panama, the Iranian hostage crisis, and a few other well known situations. If anyone's read his biography he does have some beef with the US government. I thnk he's trying to get back at them in a way by revealing secret info written into fiction. Who knows.....

19. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

It sells books. Lots of them. Period.

20. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

This will probably only happen once, but I have to agree with RSDad. The trouble with Clancy is that he has the clout not to have an editor change any of his works. I've only managed to read one of his books...about that SEAL dude killing all the drug dealers, forgot the name. But it was just enough for me to realize that in every 900-page Clancy novel there's a really good 300-page novel.