1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Use Ridesafely.com!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadracerR123, Oct 11, 2006.

1. caferace

caferace No.

Jurgis? Is that you?

-jim

2. LoopKiller

LoopKiller New Member

JIM ?

JIM ?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

You have any cheap Nikes or iPhones while you're here?

4. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

How about some knock-off Rolex? Cheap Fendi? Help a guy out.

5. jLUND

jLUND Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that people are sick of buying from companies who don't know the first thing about a motorcycle... Just because the bodywork is intact and shiny doesn't exactly mean the bike is in great shape...

How much for some of those knock off Rolex's? Are they called Rolox's??? HHAAAA!!!

6. canopy

canopy New Member

Pre bid Auction's

Ridesafely's & other pre bid site's interest in this holy canopy is the 10% deposit and making interest of them and that is a lot of money!!!, and this is just a smart web way for them to get your money and keep them as long as possible ;-)

Use only Live bid auction, have a third party to check out vehicle if live auction is far away, on most live auction’s it’s also possible to put bid via internet or via phone, if you can't touch vehicle & title & keys etc. don't buy it!!!

Ridesafely is pre bid only we all know, I watched this on ridesafely: Harley Softail ended on $8000 - next day I found the exact same Harley on salvagedirect.com $8200 - and 2 days later on iaai.com us biggest LIVE insurance auction where you can check out the vehicle LIVE!!!!!! and make a bid that matches the bike's value. (try check it out and you will figure out that pre bid is a total waste of YOUR time) NOTE: not all vehicle is to be found on iaai.com and not all auctions is for public. ( and now how many people did put the 10% in deposit for a pre bid and now waiting looooong :()

I have done trading for 22 year and I can only say when its car's - boat's - motorcycle's etc. don't bid before checked out live by you or a third party period, the rest is gambling and believe me live to short for that, done my experience.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  7. Bob1320

Bob1320 New Member

RideSafely.com SCAM

JBIRD is 100 percent right! I almost got trapped into this Scam myself last night, but found this thread and it saved my ass. I bid on a Harley Softail and "won" with the highest bid of $6700. I immediately received an "Invoice" for $670.00 deposit and they demand a wire transfer by 12:00 noon today. Fortunately, today is a bank holiday and I couldn't send the transfer if I wanted to.

I went to SalvageDirect.com and found the bike also being auctioned off there. The current bid was $5600! The auction doesn't end until 6:00 PM this evening. When the bid went to $5700 at SalvageDirect.com, I instantly received an email from RideSafely.com telling me that (even though I had won the auction last night) my bid was now, "not high enough" and I should increase my bid if I still want the bike!!!

Even if you end up "winning" you have only 48 hours to pay the balance by WIRE TRANSFER ONLY. If not, you will be charged $100.00 (yes One Hundred Dollars) PER DAY additonal. You then have 7 days to have the bike picked up or pay more $$ per day. Wouldn't you have liked to have thought of a great scam like this? Don't believe me? Here are the emails:

Sent: Sun 1/17/10 9:05 PM
    To: ****

Dear ****,

You have the highest eligible offer on the following Insurance Auction item: 2007 HARLEY-DAVIDSON FXSTIItem Link:

http://www.ridesafely.com/inventory.asp?InventoryID=1001073033

Your Offer: $6700Item Reference #: 1001073033
    Required Deposit: $670
    In order for us to proceed with acquisition of this vehicle at Insurance Auction, we require $670 security deposit. We have created an invoice for your transaction at RideSafely.com. To access this invoice, go to "My Account" and then review "My Invoices" or simply click on the link below.http://www.RideSafely.com/MyAccount/MyInvoices.asp

SECURITY DEPOSIT MUST BE RECEIVED BEFORE JAN 18 2010 12:00PM EST. Please make sure to indicate Item Reference # 1001073033 in your payment.

IF WE ARE ABLE TO ACQUIRE THIS VEHICLE FROM INSURANCE AUCTION, FULL PAYMENT WILL BE DUE BY WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 20, 2010 1 PM EST.

To read Insurance Auction purchase terms and conditions, go to http://www.ridesafely.com/rules.asp. If you have any questions, please call our Customer Service at 215-289-0300. Thank you and good luck!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Mon 1/18/10 12:52 PM
    To: ******

Dear ******,

Even though you've had the highest eligible offer for 2007 HARLEY-DAVIDSON FXSTI on our site, Insurance Company Auction has received a higher offer from another authorized broker/dealer.

Current Price: $6800.00
    Your Offer: $6700

THERE IS STILL TIME TO INCREASE YOUR OFFER! Don't let this get away!

View the item you've placed offer for at:http://www.ridesafely.com/Inventory.asp?InventoryID=1001073033 TO PLACE ANOTHER OFFER GO TO http://www.ridesafely.com/ and choose "My Account" from main menu. Then, select "View My Offers" and locate the desired item in the list. Click on "Send Another Offer" to place a new offer.

*** OFFER INCREASE OPTION IS AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY. If increase option is no longer available, it is too late and offers ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTED.

Good luck with your future offers!
    Team RideSafely.com

8. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

anytime you hear " DONT LET THIS GET AWAY!" run away
    I researched that site years ago and laughed at the whole process they have set up. Great profitable business model.... if you have no ethics

9. casual

casual Well-Known Member

didnt read the 5pgs but ridesafely is just a broker that buys from the real auction on ur behalf.. so they use the pics straight from the copart auction us dealers buy from.. ur better off going another route if u are picky about what you are buying. skip this middle man.

10. jLUND

jLUND Well-Known Member

None of the business practices in question here are "SCAMS", just a different method of operation. Many of these companies are not trying to rip you off or shilling up the bids, they are simply offering the bikes to you from dealer only auctions and adding on their service fees. In addition, ALL dealer auctions tack on TONS of fees on top of the final bid price. For example: Say you are bidding on an 07 R1. You are high bidder with RideSafely at $5500. Copart is auctioning the bike off and the current Copart bid is at $4500. RideSafely's price is now in the area of 5000 after fees (not including any surcharges on merchant accounts or bank transfers for payment processing). $500 profit on a bike isn't too great for a dealer, especially considering the liability, logistics, time involved, etc... If RideSafely doesn't buy the bike, this SAME EXACT BIKE will be purchased by a different dealer and marked up beyond belief...and someone will buy it. Additionally, a lot of these dealer auctions are absolutely flooded with international buyers that seem to have no budget at all. I have personally seen motorcycles at dealer only auctions go for MSRP (even though they were salvaged and damaged). It makes no sense, but that is a global economy. On the other hand, I have purchased a 2010 Ducati F1098S with 1100 miles at a dealer auction for less than half retail! There are always deals to be found, but YOU (the buyer) need to do your end and research the ever living shi*t out of each and every bike you are interested in. The broker process is designed to give YOU more autonomy in the purchase. So, you don't see the bike you want, keep looking. See the bike you want but the price is too high... suck it up and move on. There is always going to be someone with more money that is willing to spend it, your bet is that they aren't looking as far into the buying process as you are, therefore missing out on the deals that you come across.

Also, just because bikes are being auctioned off, are salvaged, are damaged, etc.. does NOT mean that they are going to sell for some ridiculously, absurdly low price. I have had so many "potential buyers" offer $1000 on a salvage motorcycle that would ultimately cost me around $4500 to purchase from dealer auctions. Would you go to a new car dealer and offer them $10,000 for a $45,000 car and get upset when they stare at you like you're completely brain dead? Give it a shot, see how they respond to you... A lot of you need to realize that you are dreamers, you have no intention of buying a motorcycle, or you are just too much of a cheap ass to afford the bike that you want. Realize that motorcycles are no longer throw away, cheap recreational vehicles. These sportbikes are still selling for a few thousand on the market, even when they're from 2001!

Just because you don't fully understand something does not mean it is a scam. As for RideSafely and some of these other companies, I cannot vouch for their business practices or ethics. However, I can say that there is nothing sketchy about the broker process. It is in practice in many to most industries globally and has seemed to fair well over time. For some reason, motorcyclists always seem to hate brokered bikes... My advice to you: If you want to get a good motorcycle, pony up and pay full price for one at your dealership or buy used in person. If you want to save your ass off, go salvage. The broker process is intended to make everyone in the process happy. The end user (you) gets the bike a lot cheaper (no dealer handling fees, less added on to the top of the bike, etc...).

11. 418

418 Expert #59

This is a two way street here. Salvage dealers need to realize that a informed customer is not going to pay $1500 under retail for some bent up piece that has potentially even more issues than disclosed. Once you commit to rebuilding the bike you realize it doesn't make financial sense to do so.

And just because you see 10 year old bikes advertised for thousands, it doesn't mean they're selling for thousands. Bikes are disposable toys in this country, they always have been and they always will be. Some just fail to realize that, or simply don't want to.

I think brokers get a bad reputation because they tend cater and prey on uneducated customers. If you're going to take a chance on saving some money, the risk needs to justify the potential savings. From what I've found is I'd rather be my own broker and find my own deals, nothing a broker service offers is anything I can't do myself.

I don't think anybody is saying that doing business in such way as descibed is a scam.

Unethical? Maybe.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  12. jLUND

jLUND Well-Known Member

@418: That is the typical attitude motorcyclists have, and that is fine as long as you can actually find good deals on bikes for yourself.
    As I stated, I don't know much about RideSafely (besides what I have always heard...nothing good), so I cannot vouch for them. It sounds like there are far too many terrible motorcycle brokers out there that have ruined it for the good ones.

When you're bidding on bikes that are listed at the major national auctions like Copart, you aren't going to get great deals. These companies like RS are dealing with nothing but HUGE auction yards.

I've seen "scam" thrown around throughout this post and many other times when hearing about brokers and RS. You're right, it isn't a scam.. more of an unethical business practice on the behalf of the shady companies that are falsely advertising the motorcycles. HOWEVER, many times the customer thinks they are going to get a pristine tip top bike with some minor cosmetic damage for dirt cheap, when in reality they are looking at a bike with major damage that will need quite a bit of work. A lot of people have the tendency to let their optimistic hopes blind the reality of the situation...

I have SEEN 01 GSXR's selling for entirely too much money. It's ridiculous actually and I will never understand it. I have had customers choose to pay $3000 for an almost 10 year old 600 instead of buying an 07+ 600 from me (when the 07+ 600 was actually a great bike). You even see it with noob racers (or trackday rockstars) all the time when they opt out of buying a close to stock 1-3 year old bike and go with a "race prepped" 5-8 year old bike for a similar price simply because the older bike has suspension, exhaust, "motor work", etc... Try telling those guys they're throwing their money out the window and you will realize quickly that they are not open to that possibility.

I have sold bikes like this for 3 years with my business and for about 4 years before that as a hobby. I have ran into all kinds of motorcycle buyers and owners, and unfortunately many of them are about as far from informed as possible. I don't get it, never will get it, and really wish there was some way for the motorcycle community to work together like other industries so that we don't have to deal with wild west atmosphere in which so many fend for themselves.

13. SpringChk

SpringChk New Member

14. caferace

caferace No.

15. ctylerla

ctylerla New Member

Ride Dangerously

Never - ever - ever will i do one of these online auctions again-I totally got screwed- without lube.

There was so much damage in the undercarriage that they never disclosed or took pictures of-I ended up spending 3500 more than i projected. I have paid more for this car if I had just bough from craigslist.

I will never buy an auction car without first inspecting it.

16. TypeR6

TypeR6 God first!

This entire process is nuts!! fawk that noise.

17. BGause

BGause New Member

I have had no problems with RideSafely but the transportation company they recommend, HaulMatch is definitely the worst of the worst when it comes to getting them to follow thru on a shipment. They will hang you on for ever and each time you check with them on your order they will tell you they have "not found a driver yet". Don't waste your time with these people. Use that time to find a more reputable and dependable shipper.

18. socalidays

socalidays New Member

Buyer beware! Do not use ridesafely.com!!!

On 4/15/11 I purchased a vehicle from Ridesafely.com that was not as advertised and I'm asking for a full refund due to the following.

1. Vehicle was not disclosed as non-running.
    2. Vehicle was listed in a 3rd party non-running vehicles exclusive auction, also not disclosed.
    3. Ridesafely staff rebuffed my attempts to check and confirm information on the vehicle during several conversations while having information stating otherwise.
    1. When I asked staff implied I could drive the vehicle home today.
    2. Would not provide vehicle's location, phone number for vehicle location, address for vehicle location, or name of real vehicle auction company preventing me from confirming cars stated condition.
    5. At 1:18pm ridesafely sent an email entitled “RIDESAFELY : Vehicle ready for pickup”. No mention that DMV paperwork or a dealer plate was necessary.
    6. Additional damage not stated on vehicle information. Including electrical and interior damage.
    7. I found out after the fact that “Start Code: WON'T START” was listed on iaai.coms site for this vehicle where ridesafely takes information for it's own site but, chose not to include this fact.

In addition iaai staff informed me ridesafely was using and altering their copyrighted images without permission. Including the image attached.

Do not put the title of this vehicle (Inv. #XXXXXXXX) under my name. I'm asking for a complete refund including any broker or transfer fees since this vehicle was not as stated. Branch Manager XXXX XXXXXX of iaai.com said he would agree to store the car on their lot for free until this matter is resolved on your behalf. He also offered to re-list the vehicle for ridesafely at no charge to help recoup any loss if any. Please, this was my life savings. This was to be my car to get me from work to home and back. Had I known what you knew, car doesn't ran and was listed in a non-working car auction by a 3rd party, I would not have bid on this vehicle. I was prevented from contacting the actual seller iaai.com until all paperwork and funding was completed preventing me from confirming important facts on this vehicle. I will not be using your website or services again. You may contact XXXXX at iaai.com

Please contact me so we can get this resolved quickly.

19. Saltman

Saltman Curves Are Sexy

A quick search on the web would have yielded all sorts of buyer beware warnings. Before you shell out big bucks, do your homework. And if there's the slightest hint of something awry, why still spend your hard earned money? Hope you get your $$ back, but it's highly unlikely.

20. socalidays

socalidays New Member

Buyer beware! Do not use ridesafely.com!!!

If your using Ridesafely you are paying close to an extra $1000 to have them bid on other companies auctions. I was under the impression they were the auction company not a broker.

I did do a couple quick searches on the company but in the future I will do more research. Craigslist is so full of car sale scams I thought I'd try something different. Had the vehicle been as stated it would have been a good deal, unfortunately it wasn't.

This was a well orchestrated scam. Intentionally leaving out information you know about a product then hiding behind an as-is clause doesn't cut it. I've contacted the PA attorney general, FTC, and FBI's cybercrime division. If they refuse to offer a refund I'll be taking them to court.