1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Go Drinking in Canada!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by rcarson15, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'll normally defend cops and see things from their point of view but nothing in this post makes sense from any POV.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agree

Going the other direction? Are you drunk or something? I pass cops going the other way all the damn time with their lights on and I've never stopped nor will I ever if they're not obviously signalling at me. Cops go to calls all over the place, why would anyone ever assume they're being pulled over by a cop in the other direction? That alone is where the entire argument blaming younglion for anything falls apart. What you are saying makes NO sense because you're basing it all on saying he should pull over for a cop going somewhere else entirely. That is ridiculous.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ummmmm - yet again no. Slow down sure, move to give them room if you have time to see them sure. Pull to a stop then wait on them to possible come back to you? No way in hell.

Prospect, Britt and kangasj like this.
  4. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

:crackup: Holy shit. How much time did you spend reading/responding to these? You (and a few others in here) need to actually read them. Specifically, the one at the bottom of page 3 where I say I’m trolling and just performing my beebly duties, just like he mentioned in his initial reason for not posting the whole story.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I read them but doing other things too, playing catch up after being offline for a couple days takes too damn much effort :D

6. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I live in WA. We don't stop for emergency vehicles headed the opposite direction, necessarily. Maybe you can safely stop and resume after being passed, but depending on circumstances, that may not be how it plays out.

The RCW

(1) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle making use of audible and visual signals meeting the requirements of RCW 46.37.190, or of a police vehicle properly and lawfully making use of an audible signal only the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way and shall immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the right-hand edge or curb of the roadway clear of any intersection and shall stop and remain in such position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer.

7. Knotcher

Were I a lawyer, I'd go after the syntax of the emergency vehicle audible requirements, too. No sound, no pull over.

8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

I know there are 6 criteria that was needed to get a guilty conviction for Felony Eluding, and my lawyer felt confident only 4 of the 6 could be proven in court.

Here's some verbage I found while initially researching it myself:

The definition of the crime includes specific conditions that the police officer must satisfy in identifying him or herself and in signaling a vehicle to stop:

The signal given by the police officer may be by hand, voice, emergency light, or siren. The officer giving such a signal shall be in uniform and the vehicle shall be equipped with lights and sirens. The officer need not give the signal from the pursuing police vehicle, but may give a signal from the roadside.

It is an affirmative defense to this section which must be established by a preponderance of the evidence that: (a) A reasonable person would not believe that the signal to stop was given by a police officer; and (b) driving after the signal to stop was reasonable under the circumstances.

The Sheriff was coaching the two officers who were the ones driving in the SUV (trainee and supervisor) on how to interrogate me and what info was needed for them to get out of me to get all 6 pieces of info, the main one they get insisting that I "Saw the officers make the turn" to which I replied I did NOT not see them make a turn (they meant a U-Turn to come after me) and they asked me that question in multiple different ways. I verified I saw the lights, no denying that.

3 of the 6 things needed for conviction alone were visual que (lights on), properly marked police vehicle (it was) and officer was in uniform and on duty (which they both were).

2 questionable items they couldn't prove were:

#1. That I rode recklessly to avoid the Cop - I denied this but likely would have lost that as the passes I made into town on cars although legal (dotted line passing zones) I admitted in my statement I was speeding during the overtakes so I volunteered too much info there.

#2. That I was aware I was being pursued and refused to stop - neither of which I admitted to and neither of which dash cam footage could prove either as like I said, I'm on camera 0.9 seconds, we pass each other, and then I'm not on camera again until you see me in cuffs standing up next to the Sheriff in town 3-4 minutes later.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

One thing you should take away from this.
    When dealing with the police, you have the right to remain silent.
    Use it. Especially in a situation such as you describe.
    It sounds like you helped them convict you.

auminer likes this.
  10. younglion

1 million percent agree!

My willingness to answer questions (I’m not guilty and have nothing to hide mentality) and cooperation hurt me for sure. This is how it went down after I was cuffed and in the back of the SUV:

Officer: (reads me my rights)
    Me: I acknowledge them
    Officer: “now we need your recorded statement of events”
    Me: but you just said I don’t have to - can’t I hold off on a statement?
    Officer: “We have all day, you can bake in this 90 degree heat as long as needed until you are ready to answer our questions, and the sooner we get this over with the sooner we get those nasty cuffs off”

(I complained earlier I had no circulation in my hands as they wedged me in and the speed jump on my leathers forced me forward and the cuffs were crazy tight)

Me: Okay then if you say it’s required and we aren’t moving until it’s done, let’s do it.

I only found out later WA Police are not only legally allowed to lie to you but it’s encouraged and this is a prime example of why - I said more than I needed to.

11. In Your Corner

All police are allowed to lie.

12. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

This was tested in court and you are correct. They are not supposed to do it under oath.

13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

As long as they pinky swear they are telling the troof it's all good if they accidentally mis-remember key facts, though.

14. younglion

Another fun part of my recent education that I'll always remember - thankfully my opportunities to use it up until last summer were limited to...oh yeah, zero. :)

I learned a lot from the experience, and just to clarify - the Cops weren't abusive, they didn't do anything wrong according to their training, and I don't hate all things 'Murica because of this. I just won't ride there any longer, I'll be a lot more careful about how I handle myself when there on holiday or for work, and if something does go sideways again, I'll know my rights and not be afraid to invoke.

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Never volunteer information. I have no idea how fast I was going. Focusing on surrounding traffic required total focus.

younglion likes this.
  16. Knotcher

This has always stuck in my mind.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

18. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

And for future reference -

If you are handcuffed, don't talk about the accusations/charges/etc. without your lawyer.

If you are in handcuffs, you WILL be charged with something.

19. In Your Corner

Sage advice from a man who should know.

ddn-Kinky-Handcuffs-777x437.jpg

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You should remember your safe words.

Mine is pineapple juice.